Gabin's inspiring journey to Welsh

I did an intensive day with a young Welsh actor called Gabin Kongolo a while back - and Hansh have turned it into a superbly inspirational video - they’re going to be following his journey over the next year, and I think it’s going to be a really, really remarkable journey. This lad gives me so much hope for the future of the language. :heart:

16 Likes

A “bright Welsh future” indeed!! :slight_smile: I love how he said that on the ones he “failed” he still succeeded! :slight_smile: Ewch amdani Gabin, you’ve got this! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can’t describe how I felt when he got to the lessons on his phone. It brought back all those memories when I often couldn’t utter one Welsh word between the English phrase and the Welsh translation. Go, go, go Gabin!!

4 Likes

Gabin’s enthusiasm is infectious - he’s sure to inspire others to dysgu Cymraeg as he continues on his journey to learn and speak this beautiful language. SSiW/Dysgu Cymraeg, for me, has been/is a totally frustrating and thoroughly rewarding roller coaster. I hate roller coasters but I don’t want to get off this one!

4 Likes

I find his humility and genuineness to be very encouraging.

2 Likes

Dim stopio! :+1::+1::grin:

2 Likes

I’ve sent the link to our family messenger group - we are all of Welsh ancestry, but born & lived in England all our lives. Hope that we’ll end up restoring our Language!

3 Likes

Just such an important part of the mindset - EVERY piece of exposure to the language improves your ability - getting hung up on ‘didn’t say what the model speakers said’ just causes needless pain and distress…

1 Like

See the second installment of Gabin’s Welsh learning journey here -

2 Likes

I loved seeing Gabin’s excitement, determination and joy at learning through the challenges. He reminded me of those days when I first started and struggled so much to speak any Welsh at all, and how I was able to learn and improve because I didn’t stop. I’ve been away for a while, speaking Welsh to my cat almost every day, but not really studying. Now I’m ready to start learning again! :nerd_face:

1 Like