Gwaed means blood
Y Meirw means the dead
Dychrynllyd means frightening
Dychryn means to frighten
Ofn means fear
Arswyd means horror
Pwmpen means pumpkin

Sound file -

See here for some interesting information on the Celtic traditions of Hallowe’en…

9 Likes

And here’s a special Hallowe’en greeting from our house…

8 Likes

Calan Gaeaf hapus, pawb

Diolch, Catrin. Always with the awesome words. My Daughter will be a Bwci bo tonight because she loves hiding and then jumping out and scaring people.

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn! Calan Gaeaf Hapus! I love the video :slight_smile: :jack_o_lantern:

2 Likes

Thanks for the info about re-subscribing (receiving emails) about this topic. It works a treat. Thanks.

1 Like

Word of the Day 01/11/2018

Gaeaf = gay-ave
Rhew = hre-oo
Rhewi = hre-we
Wedi Rhewi = wed-dee hre-we
Barrug = bar-rig
Pibonwy = peeb-on-we
Eira = air-rah
Eirlaw = air-lah-oo
Lluwch Eira = llee-ooch (Welsh ll and ch sounds)
Lluwchio = llee-ooch-io (Welsh ll and ch sounds)
Cenllysg = ken-lleesg (Welsh ll sound) (Northern term)
Cesair = kess-air (Southern term)

Gaeaf means winter
Rhew means ice or frost
Rhewi means to freeze
Wedi Rhewi means is is frozen or it has frozen
Barrug means hoar frost
Pibonwy means icicles
Eira means snow
Eirlaw means sleet
Lluwch Eira means snow drift
Lluwchio means blizzard or to drift/driving snow
Cenllysg means hail
Cesair means hail

Sound file -

11 Likes

Ugh! Is it winter already? I shall dutifully add these words to the SSiW living dictionary, but hopefully I won’t have to unpack them until January or February. It’s too early to contemplate some of them, wedi rhewi, pibonwy, lluwchio. Yuck!

Is hail a winter phenomena in Wales? Where I’ve lived in the United States it is exclusively a summer thing. Hail totaled my car back in the 80’s during a summer hailstorm.

1 Like

Pibonwy is going on my list of favorite words! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, mainly a winter thing here. It often comes a day or so before sleet, then the actual snow. To be honest it’s usually more common than snow in the South.

We do occasionally get hail in the summer, sometimes with thunder. When it happens, we like to talk about it for the next month - a bit like when we get an earthquake :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hail can be common in early spring too in Cymru. Iasoer a good one for Halloween times too :wink:

1 Like

Isn’t that the truth! Weather is universal it seems.

2 Likes

It depends if you identify as a meteorologist, an astronomer, a pagan, or Gaelic… :wink:

Isn’t it totally glorious!!! Iasoer is also a wonderful word @brynle, and as you so rightly say, is a good word for winter and Hallowe’en!

2 Likes

Word(s) of the Day 06/11/2011

I know I’m a little late but…

Tân Gwyllt [tahn goo-weellt] = fireworks
Coelcerth [coyle-kerth] = bonfire
Gwreichion [goor-eych-yon] = sparks
Ffrwydrad [froo-id-rad] = explosion
Guto Ffowc [git-toh folk] = Guy Fawkes
Afal Taffi [ave-al tah-fee] = toffee apple
Taffi Triogl [tah-fee tree-ogl] = treacle toffee
Cawl [kaool] = soup/broth
Ci Poeth [key po-ith] = hot dog
Taten Bob [tat-ten baub] = baked potato
Ffon Gwreichion [fon goor-eich-yon] = sparkler

Sound file -

8 Likes

Hi @CatrinLliarJones,
Thank you so much for another excellent collection of words.
The attached sound file seems to be the previous collection of winter words, but I found the fireworks words by going to SoundCloud.
“Ffrwydrad” has already come in useful. Maybe I am reading the wrong sort of books.
Sue

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the heads up! Have now shanged. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Or my Wife apparently. She told me this weekend it is Halloween (Calan Gaeaf) when she reluctantly admits to herself summer is over and hopes her vitamin D she has stored from the summer sun carries her through the cloudy, bleak Delaware winters until Spring…or until we visit the Florida family who still has 80 degree (26 Celsius) through most of the winter.

3 Likes

Word(s) of the Day 09/11/2018

Tymestl = tum-est-tl
Tymhestlog = tum-hest-logg

Tymestl means tempest or storm
Tymhestlog means tempestuous, blustery or stormy

Storm is the most commonly used word for storm in Welsh. Then sometimes, but not very often, you may hear the word drycin = druck-inn. Though I would personally say that it’s a word mostly in use by the older generation and also in literature. But somewhere in the middle, you have these glorious words tymestl and tymhestlog, which are wonderful to say once you get your tongue round them and in my opinion, sound as dramatic as the weather they’re describing. What’s more, just like the word tempestuous in English, tymhestlog can be used to describe an impassioned and fiery relationship - perthynas dymhestlog, a volatile and often angry individual - person tymhestlog and an erratic and turbulent life - bywyd tymhestlog.

Sound file -

8 Likes

I keep hearing in Wales “but that word is restricted to older generations/literature” … is this anything to do with the decline of first language Welsh speakers (100,000 estimate out of 600,000 overall speakers (very rough estimate for now from Welsh language commissioner).

I say this because I hear it a lot. Young people not using words of the older generation is common everywhere I admit, but when I went to Caernarfon and the youth were speaking more welsh-english mix than some older types … mor slow for mor araf"…just got my braining ticking :). peace/heddwch
merrily walks into minefield!

2 Likes

Just thinking out loud -
Another simplified statistic, well three added together actually:
Around 120,000 children in Welsh medium education. Nursery, primary and secondary schools.

Just something that I’m throwing into the generation mix subject.

I don’t think this includes children in bilingual schools.

I appreciate that this doesn’t tell the whole story. Could they all be counted as (defacto) first language speakers? How many of these children actually speak Welsh outside school?

It’s just that a part of me wants to think that 100,000 first language speakers might be slightly academic/pessimistic. However, as I say, that’s just me thinking.

I think you’ve got something there John - my grandchildren at Welsh primary school have all their lessons in Welsh & have to use Welsh on the school yard too. BUT at home they speak English between themselves & friends & don’t want to watch teledu Cymraeg - this may be because Mam & I don’t have enough laith for them. Having said that, they do help me out with learning, bless’em.

1 Like