Gair neu Idiom y Diwrnod - Word or Idiom of the Day

I’m glad that wnes i ailymweld this thread so I could learn about this word!
Thanks so much!

4 Likes

Word of the day 13/04/18

Today’s word has been inspired by Friday the 13th! :wink:

Ofergoel = of-er-goelle (er as in bERRy)

Ofergoelion (pl) = of-er-goyle-yon (goyle rhymes with coil)

Ofergoel means superstition.

Ofergoel is made of two words ofer which means futile/in vain/useless/worthless and coel which means creed or belief. So ofergoel is a useless belief.

Sound file -

20 Likes

Diolch Louis.

2 Likes

The best definition of a superstition I have ever seen! (Typed on Friday 13th by person raised by superstitious Mam and her even more superstitious Mam!).

6 Likes

Word of the day 16/04/18

Disglair [disg-glaeer] = bright/brilliant/shiny/glittering/sparkly

Disgleirio [disd-gleir-yo] = to shine/to glitter/to sparkle

You can use ‘disglair’ to describe a light source or how bright an individual is, or the future! You can say that the sun or the moon are ‘disgleirio’, or something that you’ve just polished, or of course the Christmas tree!

Sound file -

17 Likes

Hello Catrin,
What a good idea. A fun way of learning some of the more elusive vocabulary.
Janet

3 Likes

Hi Catrin.
Many thanks for all the thought that you are putting into these gairiau. They are so helpful and interesting.

4 Likes

Seconded! Diolch @CatrinLliarJones!

2 Likes

Diolch to you both for your kind words and croeso mawr! :smile:

3 Likes

So how do I describe the weather if it is a bright day? “It’s sunny.” “It’s a bright day.” “Mae’n dydd disglair”?

2 Likes

heulog is sunny
I think this version of day would use dirwnod.

4 Likes

As @craigf says [quote=“craigf, post:31, topic:11814”]
I think this version of day would use dirwnod.
[/quote]

Therefore you could very well say ‘mae’n ddiwrnod disglair’.

Though you would be more likely to hear someone say something like ‘Mae’n ddisglair iawn heddiw’ / it’s very bright today. :sunny:

Unfortunately, it’s not disglair at all heddiw. We have gale force winds and driving rain… :dash: :cloud_rain:

8 Likes

Word of the day 17/04/18

Gohirio = go-hear-yo (go as in GOt and not GOat)
Gohiriad = go-hear-yad

Gohirio means to postpone or adjourn, or delay.
Gohiriad means a postponement or an adjournment but isn’t a frequently used word - yes, I know, it sounds like a race of people from Lord of the Rings… ‘The Gohiriad’ :sunglasses:

You can gohirio a meeting/sporting event/concert etc - which happens a lot Wales because of the rain.

You can use the word gohirio for delay when talking about trains and buses and so on. For example ‘Mae’r tren wedi cael ei ohirio.’ / The train has been delayed.

Sound file -

16 Likes

Diolch yn fawr Catrin. SSiW must be working for me - yesterday we had a brilliantly sunny morning (unlike your description above!) and I was trying to describe it to myself (yn Cymraeg) but it wouldn’t come out properly. Now I know!

3 Likes

Word of the day 18/04/18

Addo = ah-tho (soft th as in faTHom and short o as in cot and hot)
Addewid = ah-the-wid (the as in THErapy and THEspian)
Addewidion (pl) = ah-the-wid-yon

Addo means to promise.
Addewid means a promise

Dw i’n addo means I promise.

Sound file -

12 Likes

I often hear this on RaR with a reverse mutation (adding a ‘G’) so becoming Gaddo (but strangely never to the noun ‘addewid’). I’m guessing this reflects usage in that area?

2 Likes

Pronunciation guides are SO helpful. Thank you very much. I had come across gohirio but I was making a proper mess of saying it.
Sue

3 Likes

@CatrinLliarJones Do you mean that the “dd” is pronounced as a “hard” “th” sound?
(which is what I would use to pronounce “therapy”; same “th” as I would use for “thing”, for example).

Or are you really telling us how the “e” should be pronounced here?

2 Likes

I think @CatrinLliarJones is talking about the “e” here. The “dd” in “addewid” would still be pronounced the same as in “addo” - like the “th” in the English words “the” or “that.”

4 Likes

You are absolutely spot on @margaretwerdermann - diolch for explaining it so beautifully! It’s often very difficult to explain the phonetics of Welsh words in English, whilst being true to the rhythm of the word and syllables. So in this case because addewid is a three syllable word and the dde forms one syllable, I felt it better to keep the dd and the e sounds together and often the only way to do that is to use the English the as comparison.

Sorry for any confusion! :wink:

In time I home to upload short audio files with each word. But that may have to wait till I’ve more time on my hands… “more time”… :joy:

4 Likes