Gair neu Idiom y Diwrnod - Word or Idiom of the Day

Gair neu Idiom y Diwrnod - Word or Idiom of the Day 16/09/2020

Last night I gave Aran the fright of his life when I woke screaming, thinking there was an evil figure by the side of my bed trying to grab me. So here’s the inspiration for today’s word…

Arswyd = are-soo-wid - horror

Sound file -

5 Likes

For more fear related words, take a look at this old halloween post…

Sound file -

I was half expecting that to be a recording that Aran had somehow made of you screaming in arswyd! :scream:

We’ve finally been able to answer that question ‘would Aran reach for his phone if he thought his world was about to end?’. Apparently I was more terrifying than I was terrified… I think we’re lucky he’s still with us…:rofl:

Gair neu Idiom y Diwrnod - Word or Idiom of the Day 16/09/2020

So despite masks, hand sanitisers, handwashing and some form of social distancing, our kids have insisted on bringing the common cold and sore throats home from school. So we’re a sniffly household as per usual autumn school terms. But thank goodness, no coughs, no high temperatures and no change in sense of taste or smell… phew!

On that note, here’s a wonderful old word for you from North Wales. Still used here and there and I think it suits its purpose beautifully…

Anfadwch = ann-vad-ooch (Welsh ‘ch’ sound) - sickness, disorder, illness ailment, disease

Informally you’ll sometimes hear people say it like this…

Fadwch = vad-ooch

Here’s an example in a sentence - Mae ganddi rhyw anfadwch / Mae ganddi rhyw fadwch - She has some sickness

Sound file -

7 Likes

Gwych! Just what I was looking for. Mae gen i rhyw fadwch bore 'ma! (Nothing much, little bit of an annwyd).

1 Like

Hope you feel better soon! :wink:

1 Like

Gair neu Idiom y Diwrnod - Word or Idiom of the Day 18/09/2020

Many of you may be familiar with the British sitcom, Father Ted, by Irish writers Graham Linehan
and Arthur Mathews. The comedy follows the chaotic lives of two Roman Catholic priests living on a remote Irish island. It aired in the UK from April 1995 until May 1998, but because of its incredible success and popularity is still to this day repeated and is available to watch via various digital sources.

One of my favourite episodes is the Christmas special ‘A Christmassy Ted’, which I was reminded of recently. There’s a famous, rather hilarious scene in this episode where Ted and his fellow priests get lost in the lingerie section of a large department store. So today’s word(s) is inspired by that episode…

Dillad isaf = dee-llad eesav (Welsh ‘ll’ sound)- underwear

Dillad means clothes and isaf means lower - so literally translated, dillad isaf is lower clothes.

Sound file -

5 Likes

Gair neu Idiom y Diwrnod - Word or Idiom of the Day 21/09/2020

Last week our quiet little community suffered a spate of break-ins. Hundreds of pounds worth of property was stolen from outbuildings and sheds. Ourselves, including our next door neighbour, lost valuable tools and garden machinery. So we’re now in the process of updating our security lights and are looking towards installing cameras to protect our property.

Today’s word is therefore particularly relevant -

Gwyliadwrus = goo-eel-yad-oor-is - vigilant / cautious / watchful

Like the word watchful in English, which has the word watch at its root, gwyliadwrus has the word gwylio for watch at its root.

You’ll often hear the word mutated to wyliadwrus when used in sentences. For instance…

Mae’n rhaid i mi for yn wyliadwrus - I have to be watchful
Mae’n rhaid i ti fod yn wyliadwrus - you have yo be watchful
Mae’n rhaid i ni fod yn wyliadwrus - we have to be watchful

Sound file -

5 Likes

Sorry to hear that. Mae’n ddrwg gen i :rage:.

3 Likes

Gair neu Idiom y Diwrnod - Word or Idiom of the Day 24/09/2020

Ffawd = pha-ood - fate
Anffawd = ann-pha-ood - misfortune

Sound file -

6 Likes
2 Likes

‘torri gwynt ymennydd’? Torri gwynt - break wind

1 Like

Sorry, this link is not working?

Words about Christmas! #1 :smiley:

Words about Christmas! #2 :smiley: