Gair neu Idiom y Diwrnod - Word or Idiom of the Day

Well, I hope that’s a place for Hwntws, too. I don’t want to stay thirsty in my trip to Wales! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Because we went on holiday I clicked the “unsubscribe” button in one of the emails concerning this topic. Now we are back home again I really would like to get the emails again but I have not been able to find out how to do that. Does anyone know how to start getting the emails on this topic again?

If I have understood your question right, it could be a button/menu called “tracking” below the last post in the thread and above suggested topics (on the desktop version of the Forum).

(unless that click on the e-mail gets you to unsubscribe to e-mails entirely - which I don’t know- then it’s going to be in the profile/account)

1 Like

Gisella is correct about topic notifications. Below the last post and the general (blue) “Reply” button, there is a link for you to set how you wish to receive information about that topic. I believe the default is “Normal” which means you will only receive a notification if someone mentions you in the topic. I have most topics set on “Tracking” which means that, when I come to the forum, I will see how many new posts have come into those topics. When I want to receive emails for each new post, I set the topic to “Watching” and get an email with each new post. Apparently you can also set it to “Muted” which means you will never get anything about that topic

2 Likes

the hwntws get the last laugh … they well outnumber the gogs :disappointed_relieved: :smile:

The Silures were always a tough lot

1 Like

Word of the Day - 31/10/2018

Calan Gaeaf = cal-anne gay-ave
Gwrach = goor-ach (Welsh ch sound)
Ysbryd = uss-bridd
Bwgan = boog-anne
Bwci Bo = booky-bo
Fampir = vam-peer
Anghenfil = ang-hen-veel
Gwaed = goo-eyed
Y Meirw = uh may-roo
Dychrynllyd = duh-(ch)krun-(ll)lid (Welsh ch sound and Welsh ll sound
Dychryn = duh-(ch)krun
Ofn = ovn
Arswyd = arse-wid
Pwmpen = poom-pen

Calan Gaeaf means hallowe’en
Gwrach means witch
Ysbryd means spirit or ghost
Bwgan means ghost
Bwci Bo means bogeyman
Fampir means vampire
Anghenfil means monster
Gwaed means blood
Y Meirw means the dead
Dychrynllyd means frightening
Dychryn means to frighten
Ofn means fear
Arswyd means horror
Pwmpen means pumpkin

Sound file -

See here for some interesting information on the Celtic traditions of Hallowe’en…

9 Likes

And here’s a special Hallowe’en greeting from our house…

8 Likes

Calan Gaeaf hapus, pawb

Diolch, Catrin. Always with the awesome words. My Daughter will be a Bwci bo tonight because she loves hiding and then jumping out and scaring people.

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn! Calan Gaeaf Hapus! I love the video :slight_smile: :jack_o_lantern:

2 Likes

Thanks for the info about re-subscribing (receiving emails) about this topic. It works a treat. Thanks.

1 Like

Word of the Day 01/11/2018

Gaeaf = gay-ave
Rhew = hre-oo
Rhewi = hre-we
Wedi Rhewi = wed-dee hre-we
Barrug = bar-rig
Pibonwy = peeb-on-we
Eira = air-rah
Eirlaw = air-lah-oo
Lluwch Eira = llee-ooch (Welsh ll and ch sounds)
Lluwchio = llee-ooch-io (Welsh ll and ch sounds)
Cenllysg = ken-lleesg (Welsh ll sound) (Northern term)
Cesair = kess-air (Southern term)

Gaeaf means winter
Rhew means ice or frost
Rhewi means to freeze
Wedi Rhewi means is is frozen or it has frozen
Barrug means hoar frost
Pibonwy means icicles
Eira means snow
Eirlaw means sleet
Lluwch Eira means snow drift
Lluwchio means blizzard or to drift/driving snow
Cenllysg means hail
Cesair means hail

Sound file -

11 Likes

Ugh! Is it winter already? I shall dutifully add these words to the SSiW living dictionary, but hopefully I won’t have to unpack them until January or February. It’s too early to contemplate some of them, wedi rhewi, pibonwy, lluwchio. Yuck!

Is hail a winter phenomena in Wales? Where I’ve lived in the United States it is exclusively a summer thing. Hail totaled my car back in the 80’s during a summer hailstorm.

1 Like

Pibonwy is going on my list of favorite words! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, mainly a winter thing here. It often comes a day or so before sleet, then the actual snow. To be honest it’s usually more common than snow in the South.

We do occasionally get hail in the summer, sometimes with thunder. When it happens, we like to talk about it for the next month - a bit like when we get an earthquake :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hail can be common in early spring too in Cymru. Iasoer a good one for Halloween times too :wink:

1 Like

Isn’t that the truth! Weather is universal it seems.

2 Likes

It depends if you identify as a meteorologist, an astronomer, a pagan, or Gaelic… :wink:

Isn’t it totally glorious!!! Iasoer is also a wonderful word @brynle, and as you so rightly say, is a good word for winter and Hallowe’en!

2 Likes

Word(s) of the Day 06/11/2011

I know I’m a little late but…

Tân Gwyllt [tahn goo-weellt] = fireworks
Coelcerth [coyle-kerth] = bonfire
Gwreichion [goor-eych-yon] = sparks
Ffrwydrad [froo-id-rad] = explosion
Guto Ffowc [git-toh folk] = Guy Fawkes
Afal Taffi [ave-al tah-fee] = toffee apple
Taffi Triogl [tah-fee tree-ogl] = treacle toffee
Cawl [kaool] = soup/broth
Ci Poeth [key po-ith] = hot dog
Taten Bob [tat-ten baub] = baked potato
Ffon Gwreichion [fon goor-eich-yon] = sparkler

Sound file -

8 Likes

Hi @CatrinLliarJones,
Thank you so much for another excellent collection of words.
The attached sound file seems to be the previous collection of winter words, but I found the fireworks words by going to SoundCloud.
“Ffrwydrad” has already come in useful. Maybe I am reading the wrong sort of books.
Sue

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the heads up! Have now shanged. :slight_smile:

2 Likes