Gair neu Idiom y Diwrnod - Word or Idiom of the Day

I’m enjoying @delawarejones’s boiling debate! :grinning:

In my recent studies of cooking-related clips I had found:
i’r berw = “bring to a boil” in subtitles
wedi berwi = “boiled” in subtitles (just like “cooked” was “wedi coginio”)
or at least that’s what I hear!

1 Like

I didn’t know I was in a debate. HA! If I am, then I lost to myself and that’s sad! :sweat_smile: I’ve enjoyed learning new aspects to Cymraeg that I didn’t know before.

2 Likes

Word(s) of the Day 27/09/2018

Sound file(s) -

8 Likes

Also, just found this interesting little page. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I just heard it again in a challenge yesterday so I’m wondering:

what is dishgled (o de) then?
Bigger than cwpan but smaller than mwg?

A dishgled is quite simply a cuppa. In English you’ll often hear people say ‘let’s have a cuppa’/‘would you like a cuppa?’. ‘Cuppa’ is a shortened form of ‘cup of’.

So disgled/dishgled comes from the word dysgl for bowl, so would have originally meant a bowl-full of tea, referring to traditional round teacups.

In the North of Wales we say ‘paned’ - ‘wyt ti eisiau paned?’ which comes from ‘cwpaned o de’ - cwpaned meaning a cup-full.

So, for ‘a cup of tea’ you’ll either hear

dishgled o de
or
paned o de

Hope this explains it clearly enough. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Yes, @CatrinLliarJones, all clear, now - for Welsh and English too!

We don’t have so many subtle differences for drinking tea :grin:

2 Likes

Diolch o galon, Catrin! Between what you’ve given and that webpage, I should be able to cook in Welsh.

1 Like

You can never have too many words for cuppa😀…
Aniwe/Anyway, Twitter (multilingual) word of the day was asking for suggestions for 2nd Summer, sort of additional autumn one. Grävlingssommar" - literally ‘badger-summer’ (Swedish); Aka ‘second summer’ ‘summer of ferns’ (An hanv c’hraden; Brittany). Some suggedted Haf bach Mihangel for summery 29th Sept.

Yes this is what we commonly say for an ‘Indian Summer’. :grin:

1 Like

We don’t have so many subtle differences for drinking tea :grin:

However, when I was growing up in 1970s London, if you asked for a coffee you’d probably get a vaguely brownish, weak liquid that may have borne a passing resemblance to coffee at sometime in its previous life but wouldn’t have been anything anyone from the European mainland would recognise as coffee. Now we’ve got espresso, cappuccino, latte, cortado, et al and life is a whole lot better for it.

Oh yes, I came to London this year, for the first time since the 90s, and I noticed a huge difference in the quality of coffee.

However the long list of coffee-based beverages really comes from the USA. I’m completely at a loss with that stuff. And I had to giggle when a British man told the waitress who had just listed like 23 different types:
“Can’t I just have a normal coffee?” :rofl:

For a bit of practice, in Italy, you usually find:

caffé (“normale”) = espresso
ristretto = yr un cwpan, llai dwr
lungo = yr un cwpan, mwy dwr
macchiato = yr un cwpan, espresso a llaeth poeth ewynnog
cappuccino = espresso a llaeth poeth ewynnog, yn dysgl (like those for tea, just a bit thicker)
latte macchiato = mwy llaeth poeth ewynnog a espresso, yn gwydr
americano = espresso, lot o dwr

Yn bar hip newydd, you can also choose blend, where coffi comes from, slow brew, cold press…but then all applied to pretty much same categories as above.

What did I write wrong? Please let me know! :smiley:

3 Likes

I love this, thanks for your input! I once trained as a Barista and spend two years running a small coffee shop in Pwllheli. I really enjoyed getting in to the whole origins of different coffee drinks. I once came across Bicerin coffee from Turin whilst doing some research on the internet. I was instantly fascinated by it, but have never had the pleasure of trying it. I believe they traditionally have it for breakfast, which would make sense - one of those would keep me going all day I guess!! I’ll have to take a trip to Turin one day to try it for real. :smile:

3 Likes

Word of the Day 28/09/2018

Bodlon = bod-lonn
Bodlonrwydd = bod-lonn-ruith

Bodlon means content or satisfied.

Bodlonrwydd means contentment or satisfaction

Sound file -

8 Likes

@CatrinLliarJones, if you come to Torino, I’ll be happy to take you to have a Bicerin. By then, I can also make sure to be able to explain everything about it in Welsh! :smiley:

I didn’t put it in the list because it’s a local “specialità”. Now it’s mostly drank as a special treat, in the afternoon, not so much for breakfast, really.
By the way, for locals, there’s also a sort of smaller version called Marocchino (that means “Moroccan”, not sure about origin of the name). But tourists should try the real thing! :wink:

1 Like

Diolch Gisella-Albertini. My Wife’s a coffee-drinker and now I can explain her coffee choice in Cymraeg. Bonus points for using yesterday’s Gair y Diwrnod.

2 Likes

You’re on! :wink:

3 Likes

Word of the Day 01/10/2018

Melys = mel-iss
Sawrus = sour-iss
Chwerw = chwere-roo (Welsh ch sound)
Sur = sear
Hallt = Hah-llt (Welsh llsound)
Blasus = blass-iss
Di-flas = dee-vlahs
Seimlyd = same-lid
Hufenog = heave=en=ogg
Llaethog = llaith-ogg (Welsh llsound)
Suddlon = seath-lonn

Melys means sweet
Sawrus means savoury
Chwerw means bitter
Sur means sour
Hallt means salty
Blasus means tasty
Di-flas means tasteless
Seimlyd means greasy
Hufenog means creamy
Llaethog means milky
Suddlon means juicy

Sound file -

11 Likes

and…

wedi diflasu = bored! :smiley: … become tastless!?

I am not so sure that “butty” and “butt” comes directly from American english ‘buddy’ … but instead for someone that butts onto the coal (maybe the american english origin is similar?)

I do agree that it is not Welsh in language origin

It comes from the Welsh mines and is still said by my distant family.

The butty boy was a boy who stayed at the backend of the working miner waiting to help take the coal and load it… funny double meaning XD