Gair neu Idiom y Diwrnod - Word or Idiom of the Day

sorry to hear about Beuno and hope things are progressing well.

Look forward to new words when you have the time.
Best wishes.

2 Likes

Speedy healing vibes to Beuno! :sun_with_face:

1 Like

Word(s) of the Day 21/11/2018

Inspired by our experiences this week…

Meddygol = meh-thug-all
Meddyg = meh-thigg
Triniaeth = trinn-yah-eth
Llawdriniaeth = llaoo-drinn-yah-eth
Llawfeddyg = llaoo-veh-thigg
Ysbyty = us-butty
Cyffur = cuff-ear
Ffisig = phys-igg
Moddion = moth-yon

Meddygol means medical or medicinal
Meddyg means doctor/physician/medical practicioner
Triniaeth means treatment
Llawdriniaeth means a surgical operation
Llawfeddyg means surgeon
Ysbyty means hospital
Cyffur means drug
Ffisig means medicine (northern)
Moddion means medicine (southern)

By the way, a GP (general practitioner) would be meddyg teulu simply meaning family doctor.

If you would like any additional medically related or health related words, then please let me know. :slight_smile:

Sound file -

11 Likes

Cool
Ysbyty also can mean hospice too (yr un peth tybed!?) - Ysbyty Ifan the village :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Get well soon Beuno !

I remember an interesting discussion we had recently in the forum on the word Ysbyty and the English version Spital.

Also, Clafdy for Infirmary. I’m not aware of any Clafdy named hospital in Wales and I think that there are only two Infirmaries: Cardiff and Mongomery County.

There is a street in my village, Cwrt y Clafdy, which I think was built on the site of a former clafdy. Bonnie Tyler was brought up in the street.

1 Like

A big get well soon to Beuno, and some good wishes for Mum & Dad as caregivers, too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lots of love and prayers for all 4 of you!!! x

1 Like

Sound file now up for the last set of words! Thank you so much for your patience! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Word(s) of the Day 23/11/2018

Today’s word is inspired by the slow creep in to Christmas we see happening all around us…

Trothwy = troth-we (short ‘o’ sound)

Trothwy literally means threshold. But as in English, you’ll seldom hear people using it in everyday speech when referring to ‘that bit you stand on before walking through an entrance’, because we all tend to say doorstep.

But as in English, is is often used to describe the beginning of something. So this time of year you may hear people say Da ni ar drothwy’r Nadolig, which means we are on the threshold of Christmas.

Sound file -

9 Likes

So a good word for petrolheads? The bit on a car under the door that you step over.

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr iawn for your well wishes! Beuno is much better by now and will be sleeping in his own bed for the first time tonight. Will have to continue to be careful for a while, but he’s been very brave and cheery throughout it all.

5 Likes

Technically, yes. But you’ll tend to hear people say hosbis, so not to be confused with a regular hospital.

You are right, clafdy isn’t in in common use any more. But place names still exixt as you rightly point out. Rhydyclafdy in Pen Llyn is another example.

4 Likes

Word(s) of the Day 27/11/18

Today we have some wind related phrases, inspired by the lively weather we’re having today.

Gwynt Traed y Meirw = goo-int trah-ed uh may-roo

Gwynt Traed y Meirw means a blustery eastern wind.

gwynt means wind. Traed means feet. Meirw / y meirw means the dead.

This phrase has it’s origins in the tradition of burying the dead with their feet facing east. So a cold wind from the east is Gwynt Traed y Meirw.

Now seeing as we live in an old cottage and that it’s blowing gales outside, we’re battling another kind of wind today…

Gwynt Cilddor = goo-int keel-thor

Gwynt Cilddor means a draught.

Cil means a corner or nook, an angle / small angle, nape, back of, shaded part, retreat.

Dor / Ddor is another word for door

Cilddor or Cil y Drws means the open space between a door and it’s frame when the door is only slightly open.

Therefore Gwynt Cilddor is the wind that comes in through the edge of a slightly open door. So Gwynt Cilddor is used to mean a draught.

Sound file -

10 Likes

You may have heard of this traditional Welsh nursery rhyme Ty Bach Twt which uses the phrase Cil y Drws.

The nursery rhyme is sung to the tune Robin Ddiog which is a folk dance. The song does have more stanzas than below, but these are the better known ones.

Mae gen i dipyn o dŷ bach twt
o dŷ bach twt, o dŷ bach twt
Mae gen i dipyn o dŷ bach twt
A’r gwynt i’r drws bob bore

Hey di ho di hey di hey di ho

Agorwch dipyn o gil y drws
o gil y drws, o gil y drws
Agorwch dipyn o gil y drws
Cewch gweld y môr a’r tonnau.

Cewch gweld y môr a’r tonnau.

Ac yma byddaf yn llon fy myd
yn llon fy myd, yn llon fy myd
Ac yma byddaf yn llon fy myd

Translation -

I have a little tidy house,
a tidy little house, a tidy little house,
I have a little tidy house,
With the wind blowing to its door each morning.

Open the door a little bit,
a little bit, a little bit,
Open the door a little bit
So that I can see the sea and the waves.

So that I can see the sea and the waves.

And here I’ll be happy and content
happy and content, happy and content,
And here I’ll be happy and content
With the wind blowing to the door each morning.

8 Likes

This is really fascinating to me. On the East Coast of the United States, we experience ‘Nor’Easters.’ Strong and consistent winds out of the North East, hence the totally uninspiring name. Nor’Easters can cause a lot of damage and I now have a more interesting and appropriate phrase to use.

3 Likes

I remember reading an Icelandic ghost story, where the dead man rises from his grave because he was buried on a north-south axis instead of east-west (I’m not sure which end the head and feet went, but quite probably the same as in Wales). The thing was, you could tell the storyteller came from the north of Iceland, because they settled all around the coasts, and so usually one of the compass points gets replaced by ‘out (to sea)’: the ghost had been buried ‘out and south’ instead of east and west. If you told the same story in the east, it’d be ‘north and south’ instead of ‘out and west’.

4 Likes

Ooh, how very interesting - a bit like that indigenous Australian language (/s?) that only use points of the compass instead of left/right - fascinating how such tiny shifts can create entirely different mindscapes…

3 Likes

Totally unrelated but I think very interesting … I heard somewhere that they describe the future as behind them and the past as being ahead, opposite to how we do. It makes sense when you think that you can see the past but not the future.

2 Likes

I did a linguistics puzzle thing online that was based on the directions used in a language spoken on a mountainous island (maybe volcanic? – one mountain in the middle). So they did the complete opposite of the Australian absolute thing: cardinal points were uphill, out to sea, clockwise around the mountain, and anti-clockwise. Our ‘North’ could be any one of their four, depending whereabouts you were on the island when you consulted your compass :slight_smile:

2 Likes

how would we translate the Welsh placename Cilcain - a fine nook? … a small village now…was the rallying point for many locals heading on the first wave to Patagonia! (I grew up nearby!)