Gair neu Idiom y Diwrnod - Word or Idiom of the Day

Word of the day 19/04/18

Diddan [dee-than] = entertaining or amusing
Diddanu [dee-than-knee] = to entertain or amuse
Diddanwr [dee-than-noor] = entertainer

But interestingly, the common word for entertainment in Welsh is…

Adloniant [add-lon-yant]

Sound file -

12 Likes

Thanks for another interesting word, Catrin.
I must say that it’s great the way that these words for the day are popping up on slack.

This thread is a must before venturing into a hangout :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just love this thread! Thank you!

2 Likes

Word of the day 20/04/18

A lovely simple word for this morning

Gwlith = ghoul-eeth (gwlith is one syllable)

Gwlith simply means dew.
Gwlith y bore is morning dew.

This is what we woke up to this morning…

Sound file -

18 Likes

Not sure I understand, Catrin - does that mean the accent is on ‘ith’?

2 Likes

If anywhere, it’s on the i , but I think the point is that stress is fairly consistent right across the word.

I suppose the point is to ensure that you don’t go with GOO-lith, which would be wrong. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes this! The i sound in the middle is a long ee sound though, [quote=“robbruce, post:46, topic:11814”]
that stress is fairly consistent right across the word.
[/quote]

3 Likes

Definitely a gair newydd i fi, diolch.

If I were to pronounce it as ‘gleeth’, but with rounded lips on the ‘gl’ part of it, would that sound about right?

1 Like

You need the ‘oo’ sound between the g and the l, Peter. The gwl at the beginning sounds like ghoul. So it’s ghoul+eeth

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Diolch, Catrin!

Only thing is - doesn’t that make it two syllables (even if you pronounce the first very rapidly)? Sorry to be a pain! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I suspect that this might be one where there’s a difference between a notional underlying form & the way it’s actually realised - I’m thinking back to a question I asked about whether dy lyfr di should be your lover or your liver. In that case it’s theoretically a monosyllable, as written, even though it’s realised as two; so the -y- gets the monosyllabic treatment, and Bob’s your liver (so to speak).
I’m guessing that in this case your labialised ‘g’ is theoretically the underlying form, but native speakers trying to explain what they hear themselves as saying perceive it as @CatrinLliarJones described it.
I’m also guessing that a more SSiW approach would be to say what you hear, and hope/expect to muddle through just fine :slight_smile:

ETA: Maybe it’s just like the Catholic Church allowing you to eat beaver on Fridays in the early modern period - in that it lives in water and has a scaly tail, so it’s legally a fish. So you say what you hear, but it’s still legally a monosyllable…

6 Likes

That’s one way of putting it!

With llyfr/lyfr, I get that, underlyingly, it’s one syllable, but realised as two, with a rather helpful epenthetic vowel easing our pronunciation woes. That would explain ‘l(l)iver’ rather than l(l)over’ - though I have heard it pronounced as the latter, suggesting that some speakers have re-analysed it as being underlyingly di-syllabic.

With ‘gwlith’, I’ve never actually heard it pronounced, so can’t judge for myself whether native speakers pronounce it as two syllables but ‘feel’ there’s only one, or if it’s genuinely monosyllabic (using the labialised ‘g’, with no intervening vowel before the ‘l’).

Sorry, I realise I’m getting into phonology-nerd territory now but, hey, it’s certainly far more interesting (to me) than what I’m supposed to be doing at work… And, if nothing else, this new word is now very much committed to my memory!

As you were, folks! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Think of it like “deall” ? OK if I can’t get away with that for one syllable, how about the English “deal”. With a N. accent. Sort of deeyal. :grin:

2 Likes

Some good news!!!

After much wrangling with a temperamental old SoundCloud account on a temperamental old SoundCloud app on my phone. I finally gave up reinstalled SoundCloud and set up a new account called Word of the Day. I have recorded each word of the day and added them to each of my word posts in this thread. I hope this makes pronunciation easier! :smile:

9 Likes

Well, me neither [crossed in posting with @CatrinLliarJones, so I have now!] but I suspect it’s the same as the onset of words like gwlad or gwrando, which I have, and which I feel probably are realised with the -w- as a very short vowel

Another argument might be that soft mutation treats the *gw-*as two sounds rather than one – i.e. ei wlad, ei wrando just like ei weld o or mae’n well rather than ending up as ei lad. (I can’t remember the details off the top of my head, but there’s an argument in favour of the existence of labiovelars in Proto Indo-European that depends on them being treated as single consonants rather than consonant groups for the purposes of syllable-length and syllabification.)

2 Likes

Word of the day 23/04/18

Trefn = trevn (like heavn instead of heaven in old literature - one syllable)
Trefnu = trevn-ee
Trefnus = trevn-iss
Trefniant = trevn-yant
Trefniadau = trevn-yad-aye

Trefn means order or routine
Trefnu means to order or organise
Trefnus means orderly or organised
Trefniant means an arrangement
Trefniadau means arrangements

You can have trefn in your life or your house of office, or go to an establishment where there is no trefn at all.
You can trefnu a wedding.
You can be a person who is trefnus.
You can make a trefniant on behalf of someone or make a trefniant of flowers.
You can make trefniadau with someone to meet up or make trefniadau for Christmas or a holiday.

Sound file -

14 Likes

LOVE this, diolch yn fawr iawn!!! :star: :star2: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Word of the Day 24/04/2018

Amryw = am-riu
Amrywiol = am-riu-yol
Amrywio = am-riu-yol
Amrywiaeth = am-riu-ya-ith

Amryw means several/various/varying/many
Amrywiol means various/differing
Amrywio means to vary
Amrywiaeth means variety

Sound file -

10 Likes

I thought that Silurian always related to Shropshire, but I know there are rocks in the area that we’re formed in the Silurian geological period, so that could be my mistake

1 Like

Several geological periods and terms have been adopted like that from names of celtic tribes and the like - silurian, cambrian, ordovician. The silurians probably stretched up to Shroshire as well?

1 Like