Gair neu Idiom y Diwrnod - Word or Idiom of the Day

Word of the Day 25/04/2018

Lawrlwytho means to download or downloading - the pronunciation is difficult to explain, so just a sound file today.

lawr is down and llwytho is to load. Llwyth means a load/ a lot of.

You can say lawr / i lawr to a dog who tends to jump up. You can live lawr the road.

You can say Mae gen i lwyth o bethau i wneud for I have a lot/load of things to do. You can say Mae gen i lwyth o datws for I have a load of potatoes.

You can say that you need to llwytho a van, or llwytho wheelbarrow.

You will sometimes see this as two words - lawr lwytho. I have also seen examples of it hyphenated.

Sound file -

15 Likes

My Welsh speaking rugby season ticket neighbour was trying to find the exit to the loos. . He wasn’t sure if he should go up or down the stand to find it. His daughter started shouting Llawr,Llawr for him to go down stairs.

3 Likes

Glad i read this today - always confused between lawr/ i lawr - down and llawer - a lot.

1 Like

Sorry, in that case I have confused you more. Why did I type a ll when I was thinking an l? So, she was shouting lawr, lawr.

1 Like

Difficult to get your tongue around

1 Like

Was it lawr llawr? That means downstairs in the SW. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just to clarify… (or possibly confuse further)

Lawr / i lawr (one l) means down.
Llawr (two ll) means floor.

Therefore, i lawr ar y llawr would mean down on the floor.

Llawer means many or several.

There are many people down on the floor would translate as - Mae llawer o bobl i lawr ar y llawr.

What you probably heard in this case is lawr, lawr, indicating that they needed to go down to the next floor/down the next flight of stairs. Had his daughter seen low flying ducks coming towards her father, she may well have shouted llawr, llawr indicating that they should drop to the floor. :wink:

Or of course ot could well have been this…

This is true!!!

6 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

4 Likes

Ha ha, no I meant this was the difficult one, although I can say it now.

1 Like

Also I heard this on the radio this morning, in the lyric of Carolina by Cerys.

1 Like

That one I did have trouble with! Thanks for sound, it showed me that it was simpler than I realised!

3 Likes

I’m trying to figure out how to remember each one!!

1 Like

Excellent stuff! Diolch, Catrin - defnyddiol iawn.

@RichardBuck

Re previous discussion of ‘gwlith’, which I said I’d never heard pronounced before, and was unsure whether it’s realised as one syllable or two (sorry, everyone, for coming back to this!)

Having listened to the sound file, that’s how I hear it too.

I definitely hear deall as two syllables but English ‘deal’ (in most regional varieties) as one, though I guess it can be pronounced as two in some regions, or if pronounced slowly or emphatically and you break up the diphthong - I’m guessing that’s how your manic-looking emojee would pronounce it!

Okay, I’ll shut up about it now!

2 Likes

Word of the Day 26/04/2018

Rhes = hress
Rhestr = hress-turr
Rhestru = hress-tree

Rhes means a row/tier/line
Rhestr means a list
Rhestru means to list

Sound file -

7 Likes

Hi, Peter. No, not at all.
I guess what I’m saying is that in the NE (of England), some diphthongs are un-diphthonged.
So deal is “dee-al”. As everyone knows, boat is “bo-at”. Even Hello is hello-a for no good reason as there isn’t an a in it, although there is a trace in the Swedish Hallo(a).

Anyway back to Welsh -
I love the vowel separation and also the lack of vowel shift in the “a” so all "a"s are as in apple.

2 Likes

Just wondering if this can be used in the same two contradictory ways as the English translation – i.e. lots of different things (there was a variety of different things on offer) or one particular kind of thing (Viognier is a grape variety). I know that you can do both in Greek – and I was a bit surprised when I realised, because it seems like one of those things that you shouldn’t necessarily expect to work the same in another language – but with Welsh and English existing a bit more cheek-by-jowl I did wonder. I tried looking at the citations in the GPC, but I wasn’t convinced I’d understood them clearly enough to be sure…

ETA: looking up grape varieties on Wikipedia & ending up with Cyltifar on Wicipedia plus further checking of the GPC seems to suggest that while amrywiaeth can mean ‘type, kind, sort’ the usual biology word is amrywiad :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah, yes, now you mention it, they definitely are prone to that in the NE. :slight_smile:

Yes, admirable clarity in Welsh vowels! Not unique in that, of course, but always notable from an English speaker’s point of view.

Don’t know if you know any Irish but they reduce all short, unstressed vowels to the neutral ‘uh’ (and variations thereof), so the opposite end of the scale to Welsh in that sense.

2 Likes

Yes this is spot on for ‘variety’ in terms of biology. You will also hear simply math which means type. More technical is isrywogaeth meaning subsbecies or variety.

1 Like

Apologies for going slightly off-piste, but this thread reminds me of Tudor Owen’s Gair Cymraeg y Dydd segment that he used to do as part of his Radio Cymru show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0-XsGMF7f0

3 Likes

Caru hwn / Love this!

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: