Gair neu Idiom y Diwrnod - Word or Idiom of the Day

And Achlysurol means casual?

Actually, according to my dictionary, achlysurol means “occasional” (and yn achlysurol means “occasionally”).

3 Likes

You are absolutely right!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Word of the Day 24/05/2018

Gobaith = gob-eye-th (the aith at the end sounds like ice but with a th sound instead of an s sound
Gobeithio = gob-ey-theo

Gobaith means hope.
Gobeithio means to hope.

Dw i’n gobeithio means I hope.

Mae yna obaith means there is hope.

There is a Welsh saying which goes dim gobaith mul mewn Grand National which literally means not a donkey’s hope in a Grand National, basically meaning not a hope in hell. :wink:

11 Likes

I’m also fond of dim gobaith canari (not a canary’s chance) which of course refers to the old practice of taking a canary down a coal mine as a warning of dangerous gases.

7 Likes

I read most of the Words of the Day, and then find that I forget many of the words and phrases. So will I forget this latest delicious saying? Dim gobaith mul mewn Grand National :slight_smile:

2 Likes

try to use them in everyday life and they will slot into your long term memory eventually :slight_smile: pob lwc

1 Like

ok…but I’ve seen “achlysurol” meaning casual within science departments in universities in regards to causation and casual randomness!..Ive overthought this…:flushed:…you are right ultimately, the common translations for casual is more nuanced depending on context.

Dillad hamdden/segura = casual clothing etc

1 Like

Yes, I think so. I notice that in English “Casual” can mean “Not permanent” (On line Oxford Dictionary; Casual, 2)

1 Like

So very sorry for my absence from this thread! We had half twrm holiday here last week, so I had the kids home from school. On top of that, Aran’s work laptop died, so he had to use mine, therefore I had limited access to the forum.

New word coming today!!!

3 Likes

Word of the Day 05/07/2018

Aderyn y Bwn = add-dare-in uh boon (short oo sound)

Aderyn y Bwn is the name of a traditional Welsh folk song for children.

Aderyn y Bwn is the Welsh name for the Eurasian Bittern, seen here…

Here’s a video of the song sung by Bro Teifi pupils at the Urdd Eisteddod last week. Ioan, Iestyn and Cat’s son is singing with the party. You may hear that Aderyn y Bwn in the song is abreviated to Deryn y Bwn -

Sound File -

6 Likes

How did they do? Seemed great to me , but music has never been my forté!

Clue in the name of the video. 1st. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can’t help being slow pn uptake!

2 Likes

Word of the Day 07/06/2018

An useful word for this season…

Gardd = garth
Garddio = garth-yo

Gardd means garden.

Garddio means gardening.

S4C has a series staring Meinir Gwilym called Garddio a Mwy which means gardening and more.

Sound file -

5 Likes

Word of the Day 08/06/2018

Following on from the last word of the day…

Planhigyn = plan-hig-in
Planhigion = plan-hig-yon
Plannu = plan-nee

Planhigyn means a plant.

Plangigion means plants.

Plannu means to plant.

Sound file -

7 Likes

Learned all the gardening vocab watching Cyw on S4C! Kid with parent or carer who is just learning Welsh! Forget name of series, but it is all normal life! Lots of planhigion!

4 Likes

word of the Day 14/06/2018

Goddefgar = goth-ev-gar
Goddefgarwch = goth-ev-gar-ooch

Goddefgar means tolerant / enduring / patient
Goddefgarwch means tolerance / endurance / patience

There are many other words with similar meanings which use the prefix goddef, some more widely used than others. The online dictionary by Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru is a great source for searching words and their meanings - http://welsh-dictionary.ac.uk/gpc/gpc.html

Sound file -

7 Likes

Word of the Day 18/06/2018

A random, yet simple one today…

Galaeth = gah-lah-eeth

Galaeth means galaxy.

Here are photos of the galaeth I painted on my son’s bedroom wall -

Sound file -

15 Likes

:astonished: Ardderchog, talent iawn

4 Likes