amryddawn… multi-talented!

2 Likes

Diolch! You are very kind. :slight_smile:

Word of the Day 26/06/2018

Styfnig = sterve-nig
Styfnigo = sterve-nee-go

Styfnig means stubborn/obstinate/willful

Styfnigo means to become the above.

For instance, ‘mae hi wedi styfnigo’ would mean she has become stubborn.

Sound file - https://soundcloud.com/user-546696035/styfnig-styfnigo

6 Likes

Word(s) of the Day 26/062018

Poeth = poyth
Gwres = goo-ress
Berwedig = bear-wed-dig
Tanbaid = tan-bide
Chwys = choo-ees
Chwysu - choo-us-ee

Poeth means hot.
Gwres means heat.
Berwedig means boiling.
Tanbaid means very hot or fiery hot.
Chwys means sweat.
Chwysu means to sweat.

Sound file -

10 Likes

You appear to have missed off the beginning bit of the URL :wink:

Diolch for the heads up! Now fixed… that’ll teach me for trying to work in the sun… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I must say, I would love to be in Wales during your “heat wave” now! We’re having one here - in fact have been for several weeks, with a few days here and there of cooler temperatures. Our highs today and for something like the next ten days are expected to be 90 to 100 F (about 33 to 38 C) with VERY high humidity as well. It is a bit early - usually we don’t get this heat until late July and August. :sweat:

6 Likes

Word of the Day 06/07/2018

Sychder = suh(ch)-dare
Syched = suh(ch)-ed

As you may already know, the word sych means dry.

Sychder means drought or dryness.
Syched means thirst.

Sound file -

9 Likes

I was told (a long time ago) that Dwygyfylchi a small village near Conwy meant ‘two dry ravines’ but ‘sych’ doesn’t appear in the name (like Sychnant). Any idea if this is true?

Yes, it’s 100% true, sych doesn’t appear in the name. :joy::wink:

Although a quick Google search found this …

The name Dwygyfylchi is Welsh for “the meeting of two semicircles”, in reference to the nearby promontories of Penmaenbach and Penmaenmawr. The origin of the name Capelulo, the original settlement, lies in its association with Saint Ulo.

2 Likes

…buy Sychnant would be ‘dry valley’, yes?

I do remember having to try and find an address once in Garndolbenmaen
It was called Rhwngdwyafon; and I found it purely on a map using topographical features.

3 Likes

‘Nant’ is stream. I live on a street called ‘Coed y nant’.

1 Like

This is great. I remember the word of the day: Dysglair (I think) and then spending an embarrassing amount of time checking every word that comes from discus. I think my favourite was dysgwl for cirque or mountain cwm, as in Crib- and Trwm y Dysgwl. Not sure about spelling.

In place names it can also mean valley. There’s a village near me called Nantmel meaning Mael’s Valley. Mael appears to have been a very important person in the early middle ages having quite a few places in Radnorshire named in his honour.

2 Likes
  • Disgyl

Incidentally, there’s a plant nursery and tea room there that the owners have called Honeybrook.If I was paranoid I’d think that they did this specifically to wind me up.

8 Likes

Apologies if this is here already but I thought an appropriate word for today is “chwilboeth” - scorching

5 Likes

Also … “crasboeth” - torrid.

4 Likes

How would you use Syched in everyday conversation? Would that make thirsty “Sychedol”, or would it be closer to “mae syched arna i”?

Not so much closer as in ‘mae syched arna i’ is what you’d say, and ‘sychedol’ (although rather lovely) doesn’t exist… :slight_smile:

1 Like