Gair neu Idiom y Diwrnod - Word or Idiom of the Day

“sychedig” does seem to exist, however.

2 Likes

Originally nant was for the valley shape/form in which a stream ran…dyffryn = vale…wider (can be glacially formed etc)…any other knowledge though and Im out of my (river) depth :smiley:

3 Likes

The “nant” I know best is Trefnant, in Denbighshire. Anyone know if it’s in a valley?

(“know best” is very relative, and my geographical observation isn’t exactly the best…).

Dw i yn ôl!!! / I’m back!!! :grin:

6 Likes

Word of the Day 07/09/2018

Absennol = ab-sen-ol (ab as in ABsence - ol as in OLiver - sen as in SENd)
Absennoldeb = ab-sen-ol-deb (ab as in ABsence - ol as in OLiver - sen as in SENd - deb as in DEBate)

Absenol means absent
Absenoldeb means absence

Sound file -

9 Likes

[quote=“catrinlliarjones, post:1, topic:11814”]
I’m going to post a new Welsh word on a daily basis.
[/quote] I’ve only just discovered this thread so I have a lot of catching up to do, but it is just the sort of support I’ve been looking for. Diolch yn fawr iawn @CatrinLliarJones . I read quite a lot of Welsh and can usually work out the meaning. Now I might even be able to say it out loud with confidence.

2 Likes

Carthffossydd. That’s my all time favourite Welsh word.

1 Like

I was trying to explain apologetically to a stall-holder in the Marchnad Ogwen that I couldn’t taste her samples because I was really thirsty (with a hangover after selflessly staying in the pub to practise my Welsh until the early hours the night before… long story) and I thought we’d arrived at Mae gen i syched – is arna i ‘better’ (for certain values), is gen i ‘wrong’ (ditto), are both OK?

2 Likes

‘Mae gen i syched’ is perfect for I am thirsty. ‘Arna i’ means I owe.

1 Like

Word of the Day 10/09/2018 inspired by @RichardBuck

Dyled = dull-ed
Dyledion = dull-ed-yon

Dyled means debt
Dyledion means debts

I have a debt would be mae gen i ddyled
I owe a debt would be mae arna i ddyled

Sound file -

7 Likes

So could you have Mae gen i ddyled i’w dalu?

2 Likes

Although if Richard’s aiming for ‘mae syched arna i’ that would be fine too… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I just wasn’t spelling everything out in full - it was indeed Mae syched arna’ i vs Mae gen i syched that i was checking.

2 Likes

Or possibly i’w thalu? :wink:

I remember having to explain to a shopkeeper in Caerfyrddin last year why I was buying my brother a pair of shoes, that’s why ‘dyled’ is dear to me.

1 Like

Yes Im not certain, but I think the one with arna I or similar in it is S Wales. Also for ailments. Also in S Wales English. He has a cough on him :grinning:

Ah ok, I now understand what you were getting at @RichardBuck .

Arna’ is short for arnaf.

In the context of discussing thirst, you can definitely say mae syched arna’ i , which would literally translate as I have a thirst on me/upon me. This is commonly south Wales dialect. You will also hear people say mae annwyd arna’ i for I have a cold and so on.

In the north we say mae gen i for I have. So I’m thirsty would be mae gen i syched, which literally means I have a thirst.

In some parts of the north you will also hear dw i efo syched. Efo meaning with, so dw i efo syched means I am with a thirst.

Whichever of the above forms you decide to use to inform others of your thirst/cold/cough/fear (and so on) you will always be perfectly understood.

Now just to confuse you further, you can say mae syched arna’ i and mae arna’ i syched. Or when discussing fear, mae arna’ i ofn and mae ofn arna’ i are both correct… and so on.

When discussing things you owe, we also use arnaf/arna’. For example…

I owe you money - Mae arna’ i arian i ti
I owe her an apology - Mae arna’ i ymddiheuriad iddi hi
He owes me y favour - Mae arna’ fo gymwynas/ffafr i mi.
I owe you for the petrol - Mae arna’ i [arian] i ti am y petrol

I hope this helps!

9 Likes

Yes absolutely! Though as @louis rightly says, dyled is female, therefore[quote=“louis, post:175, topic:11814”]
i’w thalu? :wink:
[/quote]

So - Mae gen i ddyled i’w thalu. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Word(s) of The Day 11/09/2018

Keeping with a monetary theme…

Talu = tally
Taliad = tally-add
Talliadau = tally-add-aye
Tâl = tahl

Talu means to pay
Taliad means a payment
Taliadau means payments
Tâl is short for Taliad which means payment

Talu dyled means pay a debt.

Tâl mynediad means enterance fee.

Sound file -

8 Likes

Word of the Day 12/09/2018

So keeping the word tâl for payment, in mind, here are a couple more useful words -

Blaendal = blain-dahl
Iawndal = yaoon-dal

Blaendal means deposit.
Iawndal means compensation.

Blaendal is made of two words, blaen meaning front or fore and tâl meaning payment. So blaendal literally means fore payment.

Iawndal is made up of two words, iawn meaning rightness and tâl meaning payment. So iawndal literally means a payment to make right.

Sound File -

10 Likes

The easiest thing @RichardBuck would be not to stay in the pub until 2am with @Macky then you wouldn’t need to say it at all…but we have all learnt a lot of new language through your suffering!

3 Likes