Gardening Competition/Cystadleuaeth Garddio 2021

Hi everyone!:slightly_smiling_face: Would you like to have another (virtual/online) gardening competition this year? :cherry_blossom: It might be a bit of fun and we’ve got plenty of time to get growing?! (Please say yes!!!)

I’d like to make sure we have classes that are fun, suit everyone, and give everyone the chance to grow something (even without a garden), so I’d love to hear your ideas about what you’d like to grow and show, please :slight_smile:

Ideas so far are:
Best container/pot/hanging basket
Best pot of herbs
Best small garden/Best large garden/Best allotment/Best veg patch/Best front garden/Best back garden/Best indoor garden - or similar (where you send in a max of 2 photos and a few lines in Welsh about why your garden is special to you)

And how about “Biggest veg”, “Funniest veg”, “Best little border”, “Best wild garden”?
We could also have classes for individual things like “Best tomatoes, potatoes, beans” etc, if you like…
And maybe something for budding young gardeners like Tallest sunflower, Best fairy garden, Egg cress heads…?

Please let me know what you think!!! I’d love to hear your ideas and suggestions!!

6 Likes

Oh, and don’t forget, if you like to talk about gardening, come and join us every Friday at 12pm over on Welsh Speaking Practice for a friendly chat. Everyone is welcome! :slight_smile:

Sounds lovely Cetra :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: all of those categories sound great x

1 Like

@CatrinLliarJones Could you put this in the weekly email please? :slight_smile:

Of course! The next email will be next Tuesday. if you PM me all the details I’ll be sure to include it! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi everyone!
I’m really excited to share the details for the “Garddio a Hwyl!” gardening competition 2021 :):sunflower:
Hopefully, there is something for everyone - you don’t have to be an expert gardener to take part and there are 4 fun classes for children too :slight_smile:
I hope you enjoy taking part, I can’t wait to see what you can grow!!!
Cystadleuaeth Garddio 2021.pdf (204.2 KB)

Any questions, please let me know!
Ready, steady… Grow!!! :sunflower:

2 Likes

I just read out the children’s entries to my daughter Katryn and her eyes lit up- you’ve given her something to do in the Easter holidays!! :grinning:

1 Like

That’s lovely to hear, Emma!! Perfect!! :heart_eyes: And good luck Katryn - hope you have fun and I’m really looking forward to seeing what you can create!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Btw…For classes 1a-dd, you don’t need to write loads - there’s a maximum word count, but not a minimum, so a sentence or 2 is enough if that’s all you can do :slightly_smiling_face: Don’t forget, we’re judging your garden - not the quality of you photos or your writing! :slightly_smiling_face:

How about wild flowers? There is a lovely project with the National Botanic Garden of Wales and Swansea University giving wild flower seeds away https://www.swansea.ac.uk/press-office/news-events/news/2021/03/wildflowers-for-wellbeing-green-fingered-citizen-scientists-sought-for-uk-study.php

1 Like

That’s a nice project Mary! :slight_smile: Are you taking part? :slight_smile: And yes, we have a several classes that would suit wild flowers. There’s best wild garden, and of course if they’re in your border, front garden, back garden or a container you can also enter them in those classes! :sunflower:

Yes Cetra, I have a small bed in with the vegetables so hopefully they will attract insects that will eat the aphids.
Mary-Ann

Sounds lovely, Mary! Cant wait to see it! :cherry_blossom:

Hi everyone! The first entries are starting to trickle in for the virtual gardening competition - so don’t forget to let me have yours by Friday 16 July!!

There are classes for everyone, including children, and you don’t need to have a garden or be an expert gardener to take part, so do take a look at the classes and see if there’s something for you!! :sunflower:

I hope everything is growing well in your gardens! Its not been the best growing season so far, so who knows, that might blow the competition wide open!!:four_leaf_clover:
Good luck - look forward to seeing your entries!! :slight_smile:

Cystadleuaeth Garddio 2021.pdf (204.2 KB)

Hi everyone! Don’t forget that the closing date for the gardening competition is this Friday 16th July so there’s still time to enter! (See the class and entry details in the post above). Can’t wait to see your gardens and what you’ve been growing!! :slight_smile: There’s a lovely prize for our winning youngster, so how about making a cress-head, a cucumber cat or a fairy garden?!! :slight_smile: :fairy::cat2:

I’m really pleased to announce the winners of the Garddio a Hwyl competition! :heart_eyes::sunflower: Congratulations to the winners and thank you to everyone who took part, and to Meinir Gwilym for judging! Here’s the list of winners and you can also see and read about the winners gardens! :heart_eyes:Canlyniadau.pdf (2.4 MB)
Garddio a Hwyl Ennillwyr.pdf (525.2 KB)

2 Likes