SSi Forum

Gardening vocabulary

Hi
Can anyone recommend any website where I can find gardening vocabulary in Welsh. I know I could look up each individual word in the dictionary but that’s really time consuming. I thought there might be a website which contains the vocabulary relating to people’s hobbies. I want to make my practice sentences relevant to my life.

Also what is the word for “allotment” - it’s not in my dictionary.
Thank you as always. Claire

I’m not sure of a website as such, but if you’re on facebook, there is a group for the S4C gardening programme Garddio a Mwy (on now on Mondays at 8.25pm!) and there’re lots of gardening discussions posted there.
A good site for names of plants is this one: https://www.llennatur.cymru/Y-Bywiadur

There are a few words for an allotment, but the one I hear most often is rhandir (from rhan = share + tir = land)

Thank you so much for all this information. I’ve just discovered Garddio a Mwy on S4C and it’s wonderful. Aside from the gardening the scenery is stunning. I’ll check out the FB group.
Diolch
C

Here’s some gardening vocab I’ve gathered together, to help get you started.
Anyone please correct, amend or add - in particular, the more usual translation for ‘hedge’? there appear to be five or so different versions.

gardd / yr ardd - the garden
planhigyn - a plant / planhigion - plants
plannu planhigion - to plant plants
plannu hadau - to plant seeds
rhoi dŵr i’r planhigion/blodau - to water the plants
dyfrio - to water (?less used dictionary term)
yn y cefn - at/in the back / yn y ffrynt - at the front
torri’r lôn - to mow the lawn/to cut the grass
torri’r gwair - to cut the grass (but there are several different regional versions for ‘grass’)
plannu llysiau - to plant vegetables / gardd lysiau - a vegetable garden
pwll – pond (but it can also mean ‘a puddle’)
Mae pwll yn yr ardd - There’s a pond in the garden.
cloddio - to dig (can also mean ‘to mine’)
lladd chwyn - to kill weeds (chwyn rhymes with Quinn)
chwynnu - to weed (rhymes with funny)
chwistrellu - i) to spray ii) to inject
lôn – lawn (but it can also mean ‘a driveway’ or ‘a lane’); also lawnt - lawn, green
gyda llaw - i) by hand ii) by the way
blodyn - a flower / blodau - flowers / blodeuo - to flower/blossom
gardd flodau - a flower garden / yr ardd flodau - the flower garden
Pa fath o ardd sydd gyda ti? - What (literally: which) kind of garden have you got?
Roedd e fel ‘jungle’! - It was like a jungle! (It was overgrown)
Oes/Oedd llawer o goed yn yr ardd? - Are/Were there lots of trees in the garden?
torri i lawr - (to) break down / cut down
Roedd rhaid i ni dorri i lawr llawer o goed, ond ddim pob un - We had to cut down
a lot of trees, but not every one.
Y’n ni ar rhiw - We are on a slope.
lawr y rhiw - downhill / fyny’r rhiw - uphill

Very useful vocab. Diolch

Oh this is so helpful - Diolch.
It will really help me create some interesting practice sentences. Today I discovered the word for slug: gwilthen . To my horror it is “feminine” . Just who decides upon the gender of a word…