Gardening vocabulary

Hi
Can anyone recommend any website where I can find gardening vocabulary in Welsh. I know I could look up each individual word in the dictionary but that’s really time consuming. I thought there might be a website which contains the vocabulary relating to people’s hobbies. I want to make my practice sentences relevant to my life.

Also what is the word for “allotment” - it’s not in my dictionary.
Thank you as always. Claire

1 Like

I’m not sure of a website as such, but if you’re on facebook, there is a group for the S4C gardening programme Garddio a Mwy (on now on Mondays at 8.25pm!) and there’re lots of gardening discussions posted there.
A good site for names of plants is this one: https://www.llennatur.cymru/Y-Bywiadur

There are a few words for an allotment, but the one I hear most often is rhandir (from rhan = share + tir = land)

Thank you so much for all this information. I’ve just discovered Garddio a Mwy on S4C and it’s wonderful. Aside from the gardening the scenery is stunning. I’ll check out the FB group.
Diolch
C

1 Like

Here’s some gardening vocab I’ve gathered together, to help get you started.
Anyone please correct, amend or add - in particular, the more usual translation for ‘hedge’? there appear to be five or so different versions.

gardd / yr ardd - the garden
planhigyn - a plant / planhigion - plants
plannu planhigion - to plant plants
plannu hadau - to plant seeds
rhoi dŵr i’r planhigion/blodau - to water the plants
dyfrio - to water (?less used dictionary term)
yn y cefn - at/in the back / yn y ffrynt - at the front
torri’r lôn - to mow the lawn/to cut the grass
torri’r gwair - to cut the grass (but there are several different regional versions for ‘grass’)
plannu llysiau - to plant vegetables / gardd lysiau - a vegetable garden
pwll – pond (but it can also mean ‘a puddle’)
Mae pwll yn yr ardd - There’s a pond in the garden.
cloddio - to dig (can also mean ‘to mine’)
lladd chwyn - to kill weeds (chwyn rhymes with Quinn)
chwynnu - to weed (rhymes with funny)
chwistrellu - i) to spray ii) to inject
lôn – lawn (but it can also mean ‘a driveway’ or ‘a lane’); also lawnt - lawn, green
gyda llaw - i) by hand ii) by the way
blodyn - a flower / blodau - flowers / blodeuo - to flower/blossom
gardd flodau - a flower garden / yr ardd flodau - the flower garden
Pa fath o ardd sydd gyda ti? - What (literally: which) kind of garden have you got?
Roedd e fel ‘jungle’! - It was like a jungle! (It was overgrown)
Oes/Oedd llawer o goed yn yr ardd? - Are/Were there lots of trees in the garden?
torri i lawr - (to) break down / cut down
Roedd rhaid i ni dorri i lawr llawer o goed, ond ddim pob un - We had to cut down
a lot of trees, but not every one.
Y’n ni ar rhiw - We are on a slope.
lawr y rhiw - downhill / fyny’r rhiw - uphill

7 Likes

Very useful vocab. Diolch

Oh this is so helpful - Diolch.
It will really help me create some interesting practice sentences. Today I discovered the word for slug: gwilthen . To my horror it is “feminine” . Just who decides upon the gender of a word…

3 Likes

I also found Gwlithen offered as a child’s name here, but they appear to be deriving it from ‘gwlith’ meaning ‘dew’ and neglect to mention the ‘slug’ connection. Does anyone know if this name is actually used, and if so, whether it’s mainly used by Welsh-speaking communities or non-Welsh-speaking communities?

They’ve spelled it wrong - dewdrop is Gwlithyn. Gwlithen is definitely ‘slug’, and whilst I’ve never come across anyone named Gwlithyn, I very much doubt any Welsh speaker would call their child Gwlithen (whereas an un-aware non-Welsh speaker using that site may do!)

1 Like

And Gwlithyn is masculine, so I’m offering a christening present to the first SSiW family who call their son Dewdrop…

3 Likes