Geirfa Natur Cymraeg

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1u65ZuZY2cJCGy-Gu32_pddHBZ7GipseTQBhMr3JDDLQ/pub?embedded=true

10 Likes

Gwych! :star: :star2:

1 Like

I updated the link in the “how-to section”, so now it will lead to this thread.

2 Likes

Diolch

Neis iawn… geiriau newydd am Instagram. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Gwych, Craig! Mae hi’n ddefnyddiol iawn! Diolch yn fawr iawn am dy waith galed di!

(I have my doubts about the grammatical correctness of that last sentence, so someone please correct me if needed! :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Superb Craig, and the (pic) links still seem to work as well, this is a better solution than i could have managed.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

The Table of Contents feature is a nice touch.

Coedydd is an interesting one. It appears to be a double-plural!
(since coed is already the plural of coeden).

See: http://geiriaduracademi.org/?lang=en under the entry for “wood”.

wood n. [-]
pren m 1.(=forest): coed(with double pl. coedydd), coedwigf(coedwigoedd)

For “woodland” there is also “coetir”, plural “coetiroedd”. (several sources, including geiriaduracademi).

1 Like

This is great. Thanks Craig!

2 Likes

I noticed that too. Interesting.

Great @craigf

But one more tip for all (at least my chrome behaves like this). when you click on the picture you can’t go back to list unless you click errow “back” in your browser.

Well, as I said at least my Chrome plays those tricks with me so this tip might be useful.

Great work.

1 Like

That seems to be a function of Discourse. When I used the plain link in a browser, pics opened in a new tab. You can right click to open in a new tab/window or if you have a mouse with a scroll wheel click it and it will open in a new tab.

Yes this is interesting and possibly as unclearly defined as the English.
Looking for English equivalence i had interpreted it (possibly wrongly). like this.

Coeden - tree.
Coed - trees (as in more than one tree, a group of trees).
Coedydd - groups of more than one tree in the landscape.
Coedwig - forest.
coedwigoedd - forests.
Coetir - woodland (land covered in trees making it different to arable land, heath-land etc).
Coetiroedd - woodlands gets contracted to woods (which probably is not good English) but i know when i was young on the farm, saying i’m going for a walk round the woods, meant going around more than on piece of woodland.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Yup, of course, this is an option. :slight_smile:

Thank you for this.

1 Like

Did in my day!!! Bet it still does!! Interestingly, I keep hearing ‘countryside’ now in contexts where we just said ‘country’ (when living in town). When living in the country, it was woods, fields, cliffs, bogs etc. etc!!

In the US, I’ve seen usage from about a hundred years ago say ‘the wood’ as opposed to today’s uasge ‘the woods’. So, this changed sometime in the 20th century.

On the Welsh side, dictionaries list coed as trees (plural) and wood, forest (singular).

1 Like