General question

‘Rwtch Llwyr?’
I seem to remember Iestyn using the term ‘rwtch llwyr’ for ‘complete rubbish’ in the south.
(or something sounding like that)
I think it was meaning to speak complete rubbish but cannot find it now. :roll_eyes: I can only find the word sbwriel for rubbish. Can anyone explain a bit more please? :thinking:

Hi @annmoore On the North course we have learned “sothach llwyr” for “complete rubbish” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

‘rwtsh’ means: shoddy or poor quality work, produce, etc, insignificant or insubstantial thing(s), rubbish, nonsense, balderdash, hotchpotch; insignificant person, good-for-nothing .

and ‘llwyr’ means: complete, entire, utter, whole, total, full, thorough, unqualified, unconditional, absolute .

You wouldn’t hear “sbwriel” in this context because that’s ‘rubbish’ in the sense of ‘waste’ rather than ‘nonsense’ - i.e. the bin-men don’t collect your ‘rwtsh’, they collect your ‘sbwriel’! :smiley:

4 Likes

Great, thank you. I understand now but could not find it in the dictionary. Diolch :hugs:

2 Likes

Co-incidentally, I also forgot the term last week, so asked my school teacher friend “what would you say after Rwtch?”. Like a flash, he said "Rwtch Llwyr’. So there we are, encouraging, if slightly worrying that he should be using the exact phrase :slight_smile:

1 Like

Amazing and encouraging too! Diolch John.
I now have another dilemma. I want to know which word to use (in the south) for motivate.
My dictionary suggests cymell, ysgogi or symbylu. I have never heard of any of these words!
I want to say, " I am trying to motivate myself again." :thinking::thinking::thinking:

1 Like

Yes, thay are definitely the dictionary examples, although I dont recall recognising them being spoken, which might just mean that I didn’t catch them.

Ones I have heard are Gwthio (Gwffio?) to push. I’ve heard Tynnu (to draw, or pull) used for to encourage; I know it wouldn’t be really common in English, but I think it would be in Welsh. Personally, I’d feel safe using Calonogi, to motivate in the sense of to encourage hearten or inspire. People have definitely used that with me.

I hope this helps.

2 Likes

I’ve heard ysgogi quite a lot but not the other two (although argymell is used for to recommend).

2 Likes

I’ve also heard ysgogi :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes. My colleague is recommending anogi

1 Like

I would use ysgogi for to morivae and annog for to encourage. :wink:

4 Likes

I want a cuppa!
On the southern course level 2 we get ych chi’n moyn dishgled o de. Up until now I’ve thought that was baned o de (or even just baned).Is this a North/South thing? Also why ych chi and not dych che? I thought that was already abbreviated from Rydych.
Thanks…right, wheres the tea?

rwtsh llwyr Level 2 challenge 20 @annmoore - just looked it up ::slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, dishgled/paned is quite a N/S thing - dishgled is much more common in the S.
ych/dych are both shortenings of ydach (question form of rydych) and really just a regional/personal preference - both are common.

1 Like

Diolch eto. How do you find my questions every time? I’m very impressed. Dw i’n argraff iawn (?).

1 Like

I lurk. A lot. :rofl:

2 Likes