Germans! Almaenwyr!

Haia bawb!
I’m someone who’s learned Welsh, and it all began with SSiWelsh. What an amazing thing!
Over the past few years I’ve come across loads of Germans who really want to learn Welsh. I mean, it’s almost shocking, the large demographic of Germans that have come to Wales or are still in Germany and have just really taken an interest. Something that I’ve always been curious about - perhaps it’s the politeness, that is, the “European attitude” towards respecting the culture of a nation by learning its language; especially if you decide to move there. Even the students I’ve met - seems like every single one, takes it upon themselves to learn a bit of Welsh; even if they’re only here (in Bangor) for a semester.
Just thought I’d reach out to any Germans out there who’d like to practice Welsh with me, and maybe help me with my German in exchange!

hwyl!
Andrew

6 Likes

Hey Andrew!

Good to hear your experiences with Germans in Wales are so pleasant! I really just started learning Welsh and certainly will not be able to offer intriguing conversation for someone with your proficiency. But for shure I‘d be glad to chat with you in German! If you’re interested just send me a message or let me know here and we can set something up.

Have a good evening! Hannah

3 Likes

Hey Hannah, pleased to meet you! Well I’m sure my German conversation isn’t all exciting… :wink: It doesn’t matter what your level is, feel free to practice Walisisch with me any time!

1 Like

Helo Andrew,

if you like we could have a chat some time, too :smile:

Hwyl,
Camilla

1 Like

Mi fyswn i wrth fy modd, Camilla!
Das wäre toll! Hast du auch WhatsApp?

Hwyl,
Andrew

No, I don’t have WhatsApp.
But I’m on Slack in the WSP (Welsh Speaking Practice) and I do have Skype

Hwyl,
Camilla

What is this Slack? Ok pm me and we can exchange info

Good evening, born in Wales at a time when welsh was not taught, I had been often told that welsh was very similar to German due to the “umlauts” and similar pronunciation differences compared to English.
I joined the army back in the 80’s and was promptly sent to Germany where I served for 8 years and, having met my wife there, I remained there after leaving the army.
I returned to the UK in 2012 and my family followed me shortly afterwards. Generally, we speak German at home but it was always a wish to speak welsh.
I am a fluent speaking in German, broken English and on week 3 of welsh ( God help me).
PS I was always hopeless at languages…

1 Like

Very interested story, thanks for sharing. Vielen Dank / diolch yn fawr!
I’d be glad to practice with you if you’d like, and would you mind a German/Welsh exchange?

Cofion cynnes,
Andrew

Mein Deutsch reicht vollkommen aus, mein Walisisch jedoch braucht noch einige Wochen vor ich mich trauer ( bin erst 3 Wochen drin).

1 Like

Weiter so! Daliwch ati!
I’m here to help and practice, whenever you feel like it.

Andrew

Diolch yn fawr for sharing the experiences. I am just beginning with welsh and I love this beautiful language. If someone is interested in a language-exchange in about two months or later I would like to do it.
Martin:slightly_smiling_face:

Croeso/ Welcome Martin!

( …there needs to be a space preceeding the emoji to get it to display properly; you can edit your post by clicking on the pencil :wink:)

Rich :slight_smile:

Thanks, I was already uncertain. How can I give hearts?
Martin :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have just given you a ‘like’/ heart for your post - there is an empty heart shape under a post by another person - click on that…it will turn red,

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thats it. Diolch yn fawr.

1 Like

Helo Andrew,

I’d be happy to chat with you as well- I’ve been looking for a German speaking buddy during covid times. Please feel free to message me if you’re interested:)

Billy

1 Like