Getting distracted by the back story

So, here’s another thing. Am I the only one, I wonder, who finds their rapid translation process interrupted by splutters of suppressed mirth at what we’re being asked to say? Example: Level 2 Challenge 15 - ‘Are you sure you should be feeling proud of yourself?’, 'Are you taking too much of a risk with the children?". My fertile imagination instantly conjures up possible scenarios: Catrin totally hacked off with Aran for…what? What did he do? Take the kids go-karting on some windswept cliff edge in Pembrokeshire over half term? Did he give them coffee? Someone has taken ‘too much of a risk’ with coffee. What was the risk? Did it involve children or did stupid Aran (probably not for the first time, since he evidently likes to live on the edge) forget he ought to drink Decaff before bedtime? And by the time all this has flashed through my head, I find I’ve wasted valuable milliseconds of brain time…not a complaint, by the way. It’s a lot funnier than opening windows and closing doors in Level 1. LOL!!

4 Likes

I think I’m right in saying that everything in Level 2 is a direct quote from some or other part of my life… :flushed: :scream: :smiley:

5 Likes

I love the absurd possibilities some of the statements conjure up!

3 Likes

They do say that truth is stranger than fiction. :wink:

2 Likes

I think you just described my family… :scream:

1 Like

chortle!

2 Likes

Can anyone remember where in the old lessons a section on prepositions ends up with something like “and now the children are sitting on the dog which is running between the chairs in the sitting room?”

1 Like

Try Level 2, the 6th vocab lesson.

You have an urgent need to say this?

Sue

1 Like

No, I just remember the whole build-up to it as being quite funny & enjoyable.
What I really can’t remember is what we were talking about on one of the Oxford walks that led to me actually using the “Now I must count the fingers on the body” line, though…

1 Like

That sounds desperate!

The lesson finishes with “When will the child go to school?”. Pity the poor teacher!

An interesting aspect of revisiting lessons after an interval is recognising where the build-up is leading.

Sue

Yes the old lessons are funny. Worth studying for that reason, let alone the broadening aspect.