Golden opportunity to practice Welsh in Wales!

Just tagging @aran to make sure he sees this!

1 Like

If you’re in Caernarfon towards the end of that block of time, it might work out - from the 6th to the 9th, we’re going to be tied up with my mother moving to live with us - and truth be told, those first few days afterwards might be a little hectic, but at least we’ll be here - so if you let me know what day you’ll be in Caernarfon, it might work… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aran, your family comes first! But, yes, it may well be possible. I’m flexible - I can be in Caernarfon on 10, 11 or 12th of September.

Another vote for the tal-y-llyn here! The whole coast rail line is amazing too

2 Likes

Tal-y-Llyn: I agree, beautiful area, but it’s too far south for me this trip.

Some companies follow a Welsh Language Policy in Wales. As I understand it, these are a set of guidelines that a company agree to provision, but not all the guidelines are required to be followed, and it appears that a company can also determine for themselves how much of certain guidelines are followed. It’s apparent to me that these Policies are more like an agreement than a law-binding document, but I’m not entirely sure about the legal standing of these policies.

The bus company I work for has such a policy, which they generally follow (correspondence when requested, social media posts are bilingual, notices are bilingual etc.). But, we are not required to be Welsh speakers ourselves, although the use of Welsh where we can speak it is certainly encouraged. Trenau Arriva Cymru do offer Welsh information and signage on their trains and at their stations, as they do also on their buses in Wales - something that some bus companies in Wales, big or small, still don’t do. I cannot speak for all of their staff though in terms of them being speakers.

With all these new schemes where Welsh is being encouraged (Million speakers by 2050, for example), and the rail franchise in Wales up for renewal next year, it would be an idea if one of the prerequisites of the new franchise will be the inclusion of Welsh information given on public announcers as a compulsory measure, and a mix of staff who are able to speak Welsh. Of course, care needs to be taken here, since making the ability to speak Welsh compulsory in offers of employment could be seen as discriminatory towards non-Welsh speakers.

So no, it’s not a requirement anywhere on public transport systems in Wales for its staff to speak Welsh. But it is very much encouraged by many companies here.

3 Likes

Hi Baruch,

I have a few suggestions for you!!!

Thursday night Ty Uchaf / The Eagles pub in Penmachno there’s a light-hearted Welsh class - always a good laugh and the beer helps everyone talk more fluently :wink:

Friday evening, again in Penmachno you could come and listen to Côr Penmachno’s choir practice (lots of lovely Welsh music!) - and that’s always followed by, yes you’ve guessed it, a visit to the pub where you’ll hear a fair bit of Welsh spoken.
http://cor.penmachno.cymru/cy/

And, anyone with a passion for the Welsh language surely has to visit Tš Mawr Wybrnant :wink:

I know transport might be a problem but Fairy Glen to Penmachno isn’t all that far and it’s a lovely walk through the forest, if it’s not raining.

I hope that helps!

Pob lwc and I hope you have a lovely holiday.

Daniel
p.s. let me know if you’d like more details

3 Likes

The 12th would be the Tuesday, yes? That’s got a fighting chance of being good for me… :slight_smile:

Daniel,

Thank you so much “yn fawr iawn”! I will certainly try and get there Thursday evening. What time do they start, do you know? And Tŷ Mawr Wybrnant looks well worth a visit.
But how would I get to Penmachno? Sure I can walk, but through a dark unlit forest or along an unlit country road? I can always get a taxi - I will be using them - but if you know a safe and easy-to-find walking route that would be great.
Thanks again.
Baruch

1 Like

Aran,

12 Medi/September would be very good for me if you can. Where, when? (Regrettably, I don’t yet know Caernarfon.) Don’t need to know details until shortly before.

Baruch

1 Like

but if you know a safe and easy-to-find walking route that would be great.

I haven’t walked it myself but here’s Google’s suggested walking route which has only short sections on main roads. (4.3 miles - 1hr 37 min)
Betws - Ty Mawr walk

@dgodber has given you a link which leads to a circular walk around the site. Ty Mawr circular walk

2 Likes

Thanks! Looks good for a daytime walk! Appreciated.

1 Like

Yet it is never, ever questioned when English is essential for any job with the slightest chance of dealing with the public.

Hi Baruch,

7yh (7pm) for the Welsh class on Thursdays! A taxi might be the best option (always best to book them in advance).

Tŷ Mawr is a really lovely walk though - pack a picnic or stop at the Conwy Falls Cafe for lunch. I’ve highlighted in pink, a nice walk - mostly on quiet country lanes or forest tracks. Alternatively you can take the road marked yellow on the map which is pretty direct from Fairy Glen (also a really nice country lane). Check opening times on the NT website before setting off.

2 Likes

Thanks so much dgodber- that’s really kind! In addition to learning Welsh, one of my favourite pastimes is walking.

Baruch

Daniel,

I am assuming that the Eagles is a friendly pub, and that people are (at least) accommodating to outsiders?!

Possibly the friendliest pub anywhere!!! Our village thrives on tourism and we welcome everyone (even more so if they’ve taken the trouble to learn to speak Welsh)…

Opening times are on the website:

And if you would like to watch a video (all in Welsh) about our little village, it’s here…

4 Likes

Daniel,

So you live in Penmachno? Want to meet up?

Daniel,

And thanks again very much for the information.
Baruch

Caffi Maes is our default: https://map.what3words.com/shells.oddly.pounds

How about aiming for 11ish?