Golf vocabulary

Hi. New boy here. English, but moving to North Wales and love learning new languages, so relish the opportunity to dysgu Cymraeg.
I’m a keen golfer and have joined the local club. I want to be able to use Welsh terms when playing, so can anyone point me to a vocabulary of golf terminology or perhaps a proficient Welsh speaker who also plays could give me some pointers.
I have to say that I’m impressed with the site so far. Cheers. Tom

1 Like

Not a golfer, so no help there - just want to say welcome to the forum! I’m sure someone will be along soon to help with the golf vocabulary :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not a golfer either, so I looked up ‘golf terminology’ in English and realised translating the whole list would be a bit of an epic! The Geiriadur Academi http://geiriaduracademi.org/ does have some terms in Welsh e.g. to tee off = taro’r bêl / cychwyn / tïo ; to tee up = rhoi’r bêl ar y ti / tïo’r bêl, so that might be a good place to find a few if no actual golfers come forward!

2 Likes

Unfortunately my golfing vocabulary wouldn’t bear translation. :blush:
When I have played with Welsh speakers, I’ve found that most of the golf-specific technical words (tee, bunker, rough, hook, slice, wedge, wood, putter etc) were not translated but there may be some purists who do. One round with an older Welsh-speaking golfer should sort you out. :laughing:

2 Likes

Welcome to the site, Tom! If you start using the Welsh you’ll learn here with your golf partners, they’ll fill you in on whatever particular words you’re short on… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks guys. I’ll keep picking brains on the course :blush:

1 Like