Grammar notes

@HuwJones has got the whole family to break their piggy banks and buy this for his birthday, so I guess he’s pretty much set. :smiley:

However I just noticed that for anyone outside the UK it’s also available in Kindle format from Amazon at about half the minimum price I found for a book+shipping.
p.s. I know some people never buy from Amazon, and I’m always glad to support indie and worthy small shops but…I mean, sometimes…!

3 Likes

I’ve heard that on Pobol y Cwm … vaguely I think it was Eileen …

1 Like

That’s weird for us Italians - considering tapino (tapini=plural) means sort of wretched or miserable (old-fashioned, but used in expressions like “poor me” with a touch of irony). :rofl:

3 Likes

Sounds a little similar in some ways - tapini can be used in a derogatory way to put someone down or in a nice way depending on tone

I can see it working well on Pobl y cwm - I will have to find a way to watch more Pobl y Cwm - haven’t watched it for a few years now. It might be a way for me to master the little things, like the ubiquitous “co”.

I’m fond of modd bynnag… :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s chiding me too for banging on all the time about Welsh grammar. It’s a conspiracy to gag me!! :open_mouth:

6 Likes

(The forum software is chiding me for talking you you too much! It apparently doesn’t know how cwl it is to have access to such an august grammar personage as yourself :joy:)

I wasn’t aware of this feature of our software and, as a moderator, I feel I should be. Would it be possible for you to provide me with a copy of how you were “chid” :slightly_smiling_face: (either by replying to this or by PM)
After a recent software update we have noticed a few changes in the automated messages sent out.
FAO @garethrking and @AnnaC

1 Like

It’s chiding me too for banging on all the time about Welsh grammar.

If it does that, it deserves to have its “bot” smacked :laughing:

2 Likes

I don’t remember the exact wording, but was a message to the effect that this was my third reply to @garethrking and I should consider replying to others as well or use PM to continue the conversation. It came up in a blue box, I think, and I closed the box to get rid of the message.

Thank you for your concern and for your work as moderator for us :slight_smile: :+1:

3 Likes

This message existed before the update! The wording was similar to what @AnnaC said.

2 Likes

Thank you for replying, Anna

First of all, you should not feel chid, chided or chud in any way. I have checked and all three of the posts which must have triggered this auto-response were friendly and good-humoured and I note that Gareth replied to all three with characteristic friendliness and good humour.

In defence of our little bot: they provide an excellent extra resource for keeping this forum such a safe and supportive environment. Provided they continue to suggest positively rather than rebuke, I think they are doing their job as well as bits of silicon can. However if you or anyone else is bewildered or offended by the software, then please feel free to bring it to the attention of any of the moderators.

2 Likes

I was not upset by the little bot at all! I’m very glad we have such things to make/keep this such a friendly and wonderful place. My post about being chided/chid/chud (I like chud!) was meant as a little joke and was not a complaint in any way.

Diolch!

3 Likes

meant as a little joke

I guessed that. :smile:

1 Like

As the unofficial president of the unofficial English Strong Verbs Appreciation Society, I’m liking your “chid” and “chud” alternatives to the boringly regular “chided”, and would offer a further candidate, “chad”.

My own preference would be for “chad” as simple past (preterite), and “chud” for the past participle. I think I will have to refer it to the Conjugation Committee. They are meeting in Hove this year.

(That’s a little linguistic/grammatical joke … cf. “hove to” :wink: ).

2 Likes

Your reference to “Hove” Brightoned my evening. :wink:

1 Like

I was not upset either! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I used chidden in the chapter-heading of a novel (sadly available only on Kindle!).

C.H.U.D. is of course (as if anyone here needed telling!) the name of a low-budget horror-film set in (or rather under) New York, which I remember watching on VHS in the late Jurassic. It stands for Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers.

There we are… :+1:

4 Likes

And there goes my preference for chud, as I shall now never forget this lovely image should the bot send me another message. I’m now going with chad, diolch @mikeellwood :slight_smile: :wink:

2 Likes

May I humbly ask you to consider chod ?

1 Like