Have you spread the word about SSiW today? Diolch! (and sorry!)

wasn’t it mary from cartref guesthouse?

http://www.cartref-caernarfon.co.uk

No, it was one of the guests – a lady from Abergavenny.

(Also, Mary wasn’t there while I was; just the manager – Cai? – who, unlike the owners, does speak fluent Welsh.)

1 Like

Oh, that’s a particularly lovely variation on the theme - diolch yn fawr iawn!

2 Likes

I recommend SSiW and SSiS to anyone who asks about my Welsh learning. My parents have recently announced that they’re moving to Wales, and whilst they won’t be in a Welsh speaking area (north east), my dad has downloaded the app and is giving it a go.

2 Likes

Diolch o galon i ti, Rachel! It takes a particular kind of courage to inflict us upon parents…:wink:

1 Like

Well, apart from telling people about SSiW at every opportunity, I have it mentioned in the information booklet that all my AirBnB guests have to read in their room, plus I have a little stack of business cards strategically placed on the breakfast bar.

I’m getting used to first-language people introducing me to someone new as “This is Deborah. She comes from New Zealand. She learnt Welsh on the internet!” - cue a discussion on SSiW :wink:

5 Likes

I mention and recommend SSIW whenever I speak to people about learning Welsh (think I should be careful not to do it too much in Welsh class though).

1 Like

New guy in work said today “I’ve always wanted to learn Welsh.” Mistake! Big mistake! HUGE! He was well and truly SSiW’d, and I’ll keep SSiWing him. :joy::joy::joy:

9 Likes

I’m not so sure, there’ll be a few Welsh speakers lurking round there waiting to be coaxed out! (Well I’ve met one or two!)

2 Likes

I have to agree with @Richmountart here, I live near Wrexham in the north east and there are plenty of Welsh speakers in the area for me to get my teeth into (not literally, I rarely bite these days).

4 Likes

That’s so very kind of you, Dee - diolch, diolch yw fy nghân!

That is definitely a fine line to tread! And often depends very much on the individual tutor. Thank you so much for spreading the word… :slight_smile:

Now I’ve got this image of a large, orange, Trumpy character shouting about SSiW at people, and Catrin wants to know why I’m crying…:wink:

It’s really wonderful getting to hear about how kind you’re all being. We need to figure out some kind of better diolch than this thread. Hmmm.

[puts thinking cap on]

No, seriously, I have a thinking cap:

8 Likes

I’m sure you meant this as “the booklet is in their room, available for them to read” but I had to chuckle at first when I (mis)read it as “the booklet that they have to read” in the sense of “the booklet that I force all my guests to read” :slight_smile: Also a way to spread the word!

“Welcome to my little place, here’s your room, here’s a little booklet for you to read, please don’t come back out till you’ve read it, there will be a test.”

3 Likes

:smile: Yes, that’s the idea :smile:

3 Likes

It really is great to see the huge enthusiasm that SSiW has generated amongst its followers - perhaps disciples is a better word considering how the gospel is being spread amongst the unbelievers. I’m sure “yr hen iaith” will “parhau”, if SSiW has anything to do with it.

The new welsh chat group in Shrewsbury includes three members who have been learning Welsh through other mediums (media?) and all three have been well and truly SSiW’d. Anyone else who appears in the Booklands in Shrewsbury on the first and third Thursdays of the month (couldn’t pass up the chance for a plug there) is likely to get the same treatment.

Furthermore, I have noticed in my Canolradd course that, although several others know a lot more grammar than I do, they don’t seem very confident in speaking the language. I made it known early on that I had learned through SSiW, so although I haven’t pushed it, possibly it has given one or two food for thought. Apart from that I find that, SSiW comes up a lot in conversation. Odd that.

3 Likes

What a superb turn of phrase! And diolch o galon i ti, Bryan - hugely, hugely appreciate all you do… :star2: :stars: :star:

1 Like

This works with the AirBNB hosts eager to improve their Welsh too. Back in Cardydd last year, I’ve “stacked” SSiW business card right on the kitchen table along with some apples (I couldn’t carry on the plane) and a Bye note (yn Cymraeg) in hope my host finds SSiW and starts improoving.

So SSiW all the way! (around the Globe)!

And yes, since my host has heard I’m learning Cymraeg and I’m actually not Cymres at all she took me by surprise, writing her “bye” note totally in Cymraeg! It was awesome to see she actually has put an effort and write down the whole little letter in Welsh to me. I have to thank her one day in that other thread too. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ve installed SSiW on a fair few people’s phones under duress and told everyone what a superb method of language learning it is.

My wife tells everyone who will listen it’s the greatest thing since sliced bara, especially after her years of struggling with Michel Thomas and Pimsleurs and the like!

5 Likes

This morning I recommended SSiW to my cousin in Surrey and emailed her a link to the website. About five years ago she drew up a bucket list and learning Welsh was included amongst some rather more exotic objectives. I said I’d be interested too and another cousin recommended Nant Gwtheryn, but at the time we never took it any further. I hope she goes ahead this time!

4 Likes

More exotic than Welsh?!

2 Likes

Depends on your point of view! I don’t remember the full list, but visiting Macca Picchu and owning a Morgan (not at the same time and neither yet accomplished) were included. Let’s hope she’ll persevere with the Welsh and find it as exciting as I have.

2 Likes