Have you spread the word about SSiW today? Diolch! (and sorry!)

Awesome! :dizzy: :star2: It would be so cool if he did end up here (but even if we donā€™t see him in the forum, he still might end up using the lessonsā€¦ :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

On a flying forum because I was rambling about communications with the Space Station which somehow wandered into talking about Welshā€¦

2 Likes

Guy with Welsh accent delivering chemicals. ā€œdo you speak welsh?ā€, ā€œno, but Iā€™ve always thought I should.ā€ SSiW lecture given.

5 Likes

Seriously got to love you guysā€¦:slight_smile:

ā€˜Chemicals, eh? Thereā€™s an online Welsh course you shouldā€¦ā€™

ā€˜You like flying? Thereā€™s an online Welsh course you shouldā€¦ā€™

:fireworks:

5 Likes

The phrase ā€œThe Welsh language is really difficultā€ is usually my cue to launch into how I had various unsuccessful attempts to learn Welsh over the years, but now Iā€™m doing this really straightforward SSiW way which gets you speaking straight away without worrying too much about all the grammar etc. This is particularly gratifying when Welsh speakers seem to be impressed by my actual speech as a beginner.

7 Likes

That sounds as though you must be on almost permanent alert!..:wink:

Diolch o galon i ti, Howard, and huge congratulations on your own achievementsā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, the flying one was a comment along the lines of "now imagine having to do that in Welsh " - which given that we were talking at the time about the INTERNATIONAL space station where everyone who flies to it has to learn Russian and English on top of whatever their many and varied first languages might be, seemed a tiny bit beyond the pale to me!

6 Likes

Today, library, lady behind the counter said sheā€™s been learning Welsh since September but disappointed how little she had learned up to this point. She got SSiWā€™d.

9 Likes

Itā€™s like a permanent St Valentineā€™s Day massacre but with mutationsā€¦

3 Likes

[quote=ā€œaran, post:69, topic:7758, full:trueā€]
Itā€™s like a permanent St Valentineā€™s Day massacre but with mutations
[/quote]Thereā€™s the new motto.

SSiW - ā€œIā€™m going to teach you a (Welsh) lesson youā€™ll never forget!ā€

3 Likes

Iā€™m so tempted to try and find a way to use that.

1 Like

On a personal note, Iā€™ve just passed details on to a good friend, who is into Spanish. Heā€™s giving it a go now :slight_smile:
PS: Is the first level free as it is in Welsh?

1 Like

Just the first 5 sessions for Spanishā€¦ the first level was free at one stage a few years ago, but we never saw much word-of-mouth spread on itā€¦

Thatā€™s great, thanks, Aran. Iā€™ll let him know. Iā€™m tempted to go for it myself now as I have some Spanish colleagues, one of who is very nervous at speaking English. Iā€™ve managed the first sentence already. I never thought that Iā€™d manage that.

2 Likes

Well done! Enhorabuena/llongyfarchiadauā€¦:wink: :slight_smile:

1 Like

I went to a different Paned a Sgwrs today and was talking to a lady who is doing 2 hours a week of Welsh in work (I think sheā€™s finding it slow going). She hadnā€™t got into the habit of using SSIW. So she got SSIW-ified :grinning: The lady who runs the shop (in which Paned a Sgwrs is held) also agreed with me that SSIW is the best Welsh course, far better than the evening courses people (including me) go to.

4 Likes

What a superb turn of phrase you haveā€¦ :slight_smile: :fireworks:

And what a lovely shop-running lady tooā€¦:wink:

2 Likes

Iā€™m coming to the Parti Penblwydd this year and booked a space on a small camp-site 10 mins from Caernarfon a couple of days ago. The guy I spoke to is married to a Welsh speaker (I asked ā€œDach chiā€™n siarad y Gymraeg?ā€) and he replied ā€œNoā€ so I naturally went into evangelist mode - second nature to mention SSiW at every opportunity I can!!
Would not like to think about how many conversations Iā€™ve had of a similar ilkā€¦ Always a pleasure, never a chore!!

4 Likes

Just thought, whenever I am the Swindon hub whilst working (driving an artic on a night-shift), I generally find thereā€™s a South Walian driver to natter with. Quite a few ā€œspoke Welsh as a boyā€ so I encourage them to have a look onlineā€¦
At SSIW, just in case you were thinkingā€¦ oh never mindā€¦

2 Likes

Had a patient whoā€™s Mum and Mumā€™s side spoke Welsh, but dad doesnā€™t. He wasnā€™t there, but I suggested it to Mam and Tad-Cu.

One of our friends is from Swansea, English speaking family. Sheā€™s also a physio. Gave her the shpiel. Sheā€™s keen, downloading the lessons last i spoke to her.

2 Likes