Have you spread the word about SSiW today? Diolch! (and sorry!)

Why am I reading this in a Ruth Jones accent?

3 Likes

Stick with it, makes the story better :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

On Friday 30th June, Isata and I went to the Cymdeithas yr Iaith ‘Ysgol Undydd Dathlu Cymunedau’ (Celebrating Communities Day School), a one-day conference on how to welcome learners and newcomers into Welsh communities. It was very interesting and enjoyable, even though we didn’t understand everything.

I just want to flag up that you, @aran (and SSiW), had at least two mentions, first by Marc Jones in his presentation about Saith Seren. I’m not sure who mentioned you the second time, maybe Helen Prosser. Do you remember @Isata ?

2 Likes

I talked to friend today who is enjoying welsh for Adults, but finding progress to be slightly slow - the usual stuff. Anyway, she is going to check out SSiW as a possible catalyst :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, fair play to him - although he’s too kind, he knows that my contribution was incidental, and they’ve done all the real work.

Diolch yn fawr iawn, John! :star: :star2:

1 Like

Ooh, annoyingly, I can’t remember who the second person was. It was a very positive mention though!

Oh, and I’m going to the Summer school in Y Drenewydd this week and inevitably being asked many times over about my learning journey and where I go to lessons (tea time small talk). To each and every one I’m answering: "Well, I started with Say Something in Welsh… or: “I don’t go to classes at all at the moment, just talk to as many people as possible and use Say Something in Welsh - have you tried it? It’s brilliant!”

(I’m also plugging @garethrking’s books whenever I can because they’re excellent, especially for someone like me who’s skipped through cheerily and glossed over the finer points of grammar.)

3 Likes

I know both those people!! :slight_smile:

Diolch o galon… :star: :star2:

1 Like

Oh thank you @Isata !! I really appreciate that - diolch o galon i chdi ! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Croeso! I just hope my Welsh is good enough for me to be an ambassador, not a warning :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yes! My sister has just moved to Wales and she sent me a video of my 5 year old niece who after 4 days in school said the opening line in the class assembly in front of the whole school - ‘Bore da’.

I told my sister to use SSiW to learn Welsh herself :slight_smile:

1 Like

:star: :star2:

A colleague at work told me they’ve downloaded the app :smile: I’ll not bring it up again until he does. I might gently ask in about a month see how it’s going.

1 Like

Twice this week. Once to my husband who is on holiday in N Wales, walking with 2 English friends. You would have thought, after 17 years in Wales, in Sir Gar, he would have picked up more Cymraeg, but he says it’s my passion and not his. 2nd time to someone I don’t know replying on Facebook to my friend who is picking up her Welsh again. My friend started in the same Mynediad class as I did 10 years ago, but babies and a new career interrupted things. Her friend says she knows some Welsh but would love to know more. SSIW recommended.

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr iawn i ti Margaret! :star2:

Of course, I don’t get out much, and, if I did, my chances of meeting anyone with any interest in learning Welsh are minimal! Is Scottish Gaelic on the list?
But anyway, back in Wales, a very good friend of mine is getting married in Welsh, or possibly bilingually. They’ve set up a website and linked it to SSiW as a means of (hopefully) getting guests to learn Welsh! I seem to recall ‘priodi’ is covered. Not sure about ‘priodas’!

4 Likes

Last week I gave SSIW a plug in the comments section of the guardian to someone in Hampshire who said they wanted to learn.

I have to say I won’t be veturing below the line again any time soon after reading some of the comments!

1 Like

I have to say I won’t be veturing below the line again any time soon after reading some of the comments!

How distressing! Do you want to share these comments or is it better that we don’t know?

To be clear, they weren’t comments directed at me, just the usual people who weigh in with stories about how insular and rude the Welsh are - the old thing about switching to Welsh when someone comes into a pub, ‘my friend’s neighbour’s son speaks Welsh and they were being rude about him when they thought he couldn’t understand’, ‘six friends of mine moved to Wales and had to leave because they got such a hard time’ etc etc.

There were positive comments too though!

1 Like

Thanks, @KateM. Sad but all too familiar.