Hello from a new subscriber!

Hi everybody, I’m Lou :wave:

I thought I’d pop along and introduce myself as I’m finally a paid-up member! I’ve spent the past few years casually dipping in and out of the free challenges, never really making much progress, but I’ve decided it’s now time to get properly stuck in and work towards fluency.

So a bit about me. I’m a proud Snowdonian native; born and raised in Waunfawr and spoke fluent Welsh until the age of 10, but then I moved to Greater Manchester and forgot it all except for a few words here and there :frowning_face: Losing the ability to speak Welsh has left me feeling rootless and now I’m older (32 to be precise) I badly want to reconnect with my heritage and bring it back to life. Hiraeth is so very real!

I’ve got a bit of an advantage as I’m not absolute beginner. I can read the words, I can pronounce the difficult sounds, and I know all the lyrics to Sosban Fach :laughing: Oh and I still remember a palindrome I was taught in Year 3: lladd dafad ddall

Funny how your brain holds on to the most random things, eh?

With that said, it hasn’t made it easier to pick up conversational Welsh since I, well, there hasn’t been anyone I can have a conversation with! But I’m hoping I can turn all that around with help from this lovely community :blush:

7 Likes

Hi Lou and Croeso,

If you spoke it until 10 it will surely still be in there somewhere - you might just have to do a bit of rummaging around to find some of it! :crazy_face:

If you are subscribing rather than on a structured course it is a smart move to join up to Welsh Speaking practice as well - email to admin@saysomethingin.com with WSP in the title.

As you probably know the forum is a good place to come for all sorts of information from books to local groups - pretty much everything.

Pob lwc, good luck

Rich :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ha, I think it’ll be more a case of resurrecting rather than rummaging!

As recommended I sent an email and I’ve just received my invitation to the Slack group - diolch yn fawr :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi Lou! Welcome aboard… croeso adref… :wink:

You’ll get a hugely helpful insight into what the journey is going to be like for you if you get the ball rolling in WSP by having a one hour conversation with someone where you agree not to use English at all for the hour… it’ll feel painful and challenging, but by the end of the hour you’ll know a staggering amount more about what still needs work… :slight_smile:

1 Like