'henddraig's S4C Petition Update!

The old Submitting Petition thread was getting a bit unwieldy and I’m not talking of submitting it again yet! You’ll see we need to keep it going, based on the current situation - see
Click here for current funding situation

So, this new thread is just for letting folk know how many are signing the petition,
@Deborah-SSi it has gone from 1214 to 1232!!!
UK:- Birmingham, Plymouth, Uckfield, Hertfordshire (S4C essential for learning Welsh), London (please come to London Welsh and meet all those wanting to relearn their language!),
Spaiin (Welsh learner says S4C is the only available source of fresh and interesting content)
Denmark
UK:- Oxford and 2 in Malvern
USA - Hawaii (Wales is the Land of my Fathers, please help keep Welsh alive), Maryland
UK:- Woking (likes S4C programmes best & wants to stay in touch with her heritage)
USA:- 3 in Utah (at least one of whom is learning Welsh), Virginia
and number 1232, my favourite place in this batch, Clovelly, NSW, Australia.
I went on holiday to Clovelly, North Devon moons ago, and I’d love to compare and contrast the two places!!

1 Like

Just playing devil’s advocate for a moment, but is it the job of the UK taxpayer to subsidise Welsh learners in Utah? Discuss(?!)

Maybe not, but arguably the same could be said of english programmes.

2 Likes

It’s called soft diplomacy. It tells the world out there that Wales exists and isn’t just a county next door to England but a country and culture in it’s own right.

7 Likes

Yes, I think that would be my argument. Maybe there’s a case for British Council subsidy?

1 Like

Many of the International viewers have stated their willingness to pay a subscription for S4C International online, which is what they receive. Currently, I don’t think S4C has any way of collecting such monies, but if BBC charge overseas, maybe they could collect and pass on to S4C.

4 Likes

Yes, exactly, @henddraig. I’d gladly pay my share to keep S4C available for those of us outside the UK. I don’t want to sponge off the British taxpayer; but, on the other hand, I have no access to Welsh content otherwise and another nine years before I become a British taxpayer again. That’s a LONG time. :frowning:

2 Likes

@aran I can see why you wanted to make clear which petition, but I am known as henddraig!! (And I hate my given name!) The title insists on a capital letter for the first word, so I’m going to re-order it!! OK??

Okay, but I’m going to put henddraig back at the start of the title, because I think it’s quite important that we make it clear that this is your petition, not an official SSiW petition… :slight_smile:

Glad to see you could make it lower case!!! :wink:

2 Likes

Now @Deborah-SSi, we are up to 1237
Adelaide, S.Aus; Fife, Scotland; Cheltenham and Basiingstoke, England; and Chicago, USA - currently getting S4C from VPN, which costs monthly sub, and would very willingly pay S4C instead!!!

2 Likes

Up to 1242, @Deborah-SSi
one from Hamburg, Germany, 3 from Scotland - Edinburgh and a couple from Dunfermline. He praises S4C as disseminating Welsh values and culture and she values it for keeping up with Welsh affairs and her parents’ native tongue. The 1242nd is from Telford, England.

1 Like

@Deborah-SSi only 4 to add, but all croeso iawn!
Oxford, Plymouth, Derbyshire and number 1246, our new friend with the glorious Forum name @PoptyPinkFflamingo from near Worcester - not just over Offa’s Dyke and Herefordshire, but in Massachusetts!

Well, @Deborah-SSi, we’ve passed 1250!! It is 1251 now!
a Welshman living in York watches S4C on iplayer & wants it to keep our wonderful language alive, in Devon, a learner for whom S4C is a vital gateway to Welsh and Welsh culture, 1249 from Bedfordshire, 1250 from Middlesbrough and 1251 from Minnesota, USA.

1 Like

Is this a record?
Oh, not in terms of numbers, @Deborah-SSi, only 3 more and one of those is a naughty man from Gwent who has signed the wrong petition, as this one is clearly marked as from those of us outside Wales. The second is from California, but the record, if it is one, is signature number 1254, from Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam!!! It is wonderful to me because I was part of the anti-Vietnam War protest back when, and knowing the country is now at peace and someone living there cares about S4C… well it made me smile and smile… :smile: :smile:

2 Likes

As someone who has been twice to Vietnam and absolutely loved it, I find it very exciting to think someone might be sitting there in Ho Chi Minh City watching S4C.

3 Likes

up to 1258 @Deborah-SSi
one from Spain, 2 from US, California with a comment ending in Diolch!, and Michigan, lastly an English lady from Southampton feels that as an English woman, the heritage of Wales is important to her, that we should not need to ask for a native language to be represented adequately in the media! Good on her, I say!
As well as filling in the form replying to the Senedd Committee request for opinion on S4C here
I have written to the Committee pointing out the diaspora’s interest in Cymraeg and giving a link to the petition with a mention of the value of reading the comments. No reply as yet!

2 Likes

Only 2 more, but takes us to 1260!
one from London commenting that S4C is an invaluable resource for Welsh speakers and learners inside and outside Wales and
one from North Dakota, USA.
I had an acknowledgment from the contact lady at the Culture, Welsh Language and Communications Committee at the Senedd, saying she was passing my e-mail on, so I hope to hear more. If it works like San Steffan, once on their list of contributers, you get info of every meeting, discussion, decision etc…

1 Like

@Deborah-SSi 1265
The first a Brit living in Arizona and happy to pay a fee asking our Government to remember such as he!
Rest in England -
Shropshire, receiving on iPad due to lack of reception by TV!, West Midlands, Worcestershire and, from Lancashire a comment mainly in Welsh from a person born in England of Welsh parents.- which makes a number of points just by saying that! This one loves Cymraeg!

1 Like

Signed - Rhydychen, Lloegr :slight_smile:

1 Like