'henddraig's S4C Petition Update!

@Deborah-SSi From Russia with love… well from Russia anyway, 1361 says -
Nos da.
I’m studying Welsh just because it’s wonderful, but unfortunately, there is a lack of resources in this language.
Such a chanel is a really necessery thing for us, distant learners.
This is probably our new friend from Yekaterinburg @Rg1. If so, Diolch! Thank you!
Edit @Deborah-SSi another today, 1362 from Croydon, Surrey
Oh, AND, please could you mention in the n/l that the Petition is specifically from people living outside Wales who are not counted in the recorded viewing figures, which are only taken in Wales. I had to delete one from the Petition!

2 Likes

That’s me! :slight_smile: 't is short for het, which means “the”. My town’s name translates as “the hard bit”. The region where I live is sandy all around, and in the olden days people met up at “the hard bit of ground in the middle of all that sand”, basically. After a while a few farmers settled here and the settlement slowly grew into the little town of 't Harde as it is today, and the name stuck.

2 Likes

I very clearly state “you live outside Wales” but I’ll make it “OUTSIDE Wales” from now on. I suspect the culprit didn’t find the petition through the newsletter.

Thanks! But yes, I see what you mean, only the person quoted SSiW in an email to me and seemed confused by the Million Speakes threads.

To @Deborah-SSi Firstly, diolch for the capital letters!
1363 from Woodbridge in England commented:-
As one of a large number of Welsh speakers living outside Wales, I believe it is essential that S4C receives state funding and is always available to viewers throughout the British Isles. Welsh is, after all, the oldest indigenous language still spoken in Britain.

2 Likes

One more @Deborah-SSi, 1364 is from London.

@Deborah-SSi 1365-1367
Derby
Wymeswold, Leicestershire
Colombo, Sri Lanka, (I think our first from that lovely land!) saying : Awesome work being done by the people here.
I’m sure that refers to S4C, @siaronjames, not me!

depends where “here” is @henddraig:wink:

To @Deborah-SSi
1368-1369
Manchester, England
Glen Huntley, Victoria, Australia -saying:-
Linguists suggest that by 2100 90% of the world’s currently spoken languages will have died out. S4C can help Welsh escape this mass extinction event.

1 Like

@Deborah-SSi Hope you enjoyed the Eisteddfod. I think you look well in the photo! We are now up to 1370. The latest, from Surbiton, politely asked, “Please restore funding to S4C, thank you.”

2 Likes

@Deborah-SSi 1371-1372
Birmngham
Alnwick, Northumberland
Hwyl fawr!

1 Like

@Deborah-SSi 1373 from County Kildare, Ireland!

@Deborah-SSi 1374 is from Estonia. Is that a first for SSiW?
1375 is from London

2 Likes

@Deborah-SSi 1376 is our @anthonylanders from Evansville, Indiana, USA and 1377 is our @Claudia_Beryan from Zurich, Switzerland! Diolch to you both!!!

3 Likes

@Deborah-SSi Another bore’ma, 1378 from Liverpool, England

1 Like

1379, from Kinver, Staffs, England, says:-
The continuation of S4C is vital for those outside of Wales who otherwise would not have access to Welsh speaking TV channels.
I’m ashamed to say, @Deborah-SSi that I had to look Kinver up on Google to find out it is in Staffordshire, a county pretty much unknown to me!

1 Like

1380-1381
Ithaca, NY, and Newville, PA, both USA. The latter says:-
Please keep the funding for S4C and make more Welsh language programming available over the Internet. As it says in the petition, we in other countries would subscribe if we could get the programs. Certainly I would myself. Please help to make it happen. Diolch yn fawr.
I had to delete one from Wales, but did contact him to explain. He had put a lovely comment suggesting Learners would be helped if all programs had the option of subtitles in Welsh and English. I suggested he wrote to S4C, his AM and MP. @Deborah-SSi is it worth putting in the n/l something about folk in Wales who want to do something for S4C writing directly?

1 Like

1382 from Saint Petersburg (Florida, USA, not Russia!)
says:- Please continue to fund this network. It is essential to the diffusion of the welsh language and culture
@Deborah-SSi

1 Like

@Deborah-SSi 1383 from Aylesbury, England, says:-
I am currently learning Welsh and regularly watch S4C. It has a vast range of programming, some of which are not covered by UK wide channels, which I have found interesting, entertaining and helps me learn Welsh.

2 Likes

@Deborah-SSi, and another - 1384, a lady from Cherry Hill, New Jersey, U.S.A.

1 Like