High Fivers

Yo! Just achieved the dizzy heights of Level 5! It seemed easier than Levels 3 or 4 - no idea why. I’m recommending this app to everyone in my Welsh class. This week in class during conversation I really noticed a big advance in my fluency, and I attribute it to the speaking practice I get here and the fact that there’s no time to faff about or worry about getting the accent right. Thanks Aran and Catrin!

3 Likes

Did I miss something? Did you mean Challenge 5?

Oh, but congrats! Noticing that you have advantage before all the rest in the class is really very encouraging to you I believe.

Now, boldly further! Here’s still a long way to go … :slight_smile: Pob lwc!

2 Likes

Well done for getting off to such a terrific start! And thank you so much for helping to spread the word… :star: :star2:

2 Likes

Actually both. I’m following the old course and the new challenges simultaneously.

1 Like

This thread has got me wondering what Level 5 is going to be like though…

hopefully more this…

than this…

1 Like

Know how both of those feel! Although that top one wants to watch herself, she’ll catch a cold not dressed like that. :smile::smile:

1 Like

I’ve only just worked out what you were on about, Tatjana! Of course, LEVEL 1, CHALLENGE 5, AND COURSE 1 LESSON 5 is where I am! I don’t even know how many levels there are. What happens after you’ve completed level 1 or course 1?

1 Like

There are currently 3 levels, but you have to subscribe for the challenges beyond level 1. It’s not expensive though and, though for me the content is mostly revision of stuff I’m supposed to know, it’s still worth it. They are helping my fluency a lot because the challenges really get my brain working.

2 Likes

:smile:

@margarethall said it all. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Margaret

2 Likes

Yay someone else doing it alongside classes and recommending it to everyone! Lessons here start with place name mutations which made me want to crawl under the desk, whereas the app gets you actually communicating and practicing. I love it.

3 Likes

Gosh you’re not in the same class I am. We are using new material from dysgucymraeg which has online stuff reflecting the written text we use in class, and it’s all conversation based. We’ve been at it for about 6 weeks and no one’s even mentioned mutations! Obviously classes vary widely!

Goodness! That doesn’t sound like a very friendly or practical way in to Welsh.

The course that really started me on the road to mastering Welsh was the Cwrs Llanllawen run by Coleg Llysfasi in Ruthin. We started with how to greet people and offer them cups of tea or coffee, how to ask how many wanted what and whether they took sugar or milk. All very useful!

1 Like

That sounds very much like my course, Margaret. All hoffi coffi to start with. I’m studying at the college in Northop by the way. Great teacher, Eirian Conlon.

My god what a difference! Yes here is was Rach dw i, then straight into TT mutations so we could say where we lived properly. And no one I know says dw i’n byw yn Nhalybont! But now 4 weeks in we can say all sorts. Great teachers, just the way the course is written down here for Ceredigion and Carms. We’re onto stuff like dy chwaer, fy mrawd now and we’ve done weather / past tense / food.

It sounds like its getting more interesting then which is good. I expect they took the view that it’s important to get the foundations right first, but it’s an awfully off-putting approach. Some people might drop out of a course like that from sheer boredom, before it’d really got started.