Homemade Welsh language games

I’ve been playing around with making my own gamified memory aids which might be of interest to other learners perhaps? I’ve posted them over on Slack, too, but not so sure they get seen by a lot of people there, so I’ll put them here as well. Hope you enjoy them, and do give me a shout if you can spot any mistakes!

If you’ve got games material of your own to share on this thread, please do!

7 Likes

I love it! :+1:

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

Diolch @Susanne. Joies i fe yn fawr iawn. Good brain exercise to help it all sink in a bit better.

2 Likes

That’s absolutely fantastic. Great idea

1 Like

Made another one, this time off-SSiW-curriculum, as I’ve been learning the clock with Duolingo.

First practice step: in the empty squares, draw clocks or digital displays as in the two examples, of the times given in the squares above.

Second practice step: cut up and play memory (aka pairs or pelmanism).

As before, please let me know if you spot a mistake.

Here are both pages as a PDF:

ClockMemory.pdf (25.9 KB)

2 Likes

Here’s a new crossword, hope you’ll enjoy it.

I’m also creating these to practise making up sentences and phrases, so, as always, please alert me if you see any dubious language in the clues! Thanks!

2 Likes

I made this little (very short) Taboo game to play at home some time ago. I might go back and write more cards, but I’m not sure when I’ll have an opportunity to do it, so I thought I might share what I already have. I’m not sure if it’s a popular game, so here are the rules - you need to explain the word in bold without mentioning any words on the card (or any related words, for example, explain “beach” without making mentions of sand, sandy, sandcastles etc). The game is in pdf

Taboo .pdf (56.0 KB)

4 Likes

That’s fantastic, Seren, diolch yn fawr, большое спасибо! I haven’t reached the stage where I can actually define words yet, but I think this would be a great game for the more advanced chats. @nia.llywelyn, don’t you do a word game session somewhere? I don’t know if Zoom allows the moderator to show something to one participant only - this game would be perfect if it did. (I hope I’m not being a busybody, perhaps you’re playing this already!)

1 Like

Diolch am hwn , thanks for this @Susanne @seren. :smile:

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr, Susanne, I now feel motivated to write more of these cards!:slight_smile: And I’m pretty sure that this game can be played at almost any level, because the definitions can be very simple, like “you go there to swim”)
@nia.llywelyn if you decide this might interest you, I can write more cards - my husband, a native speaker, would check them for me.

3 Likes

Great, @Seren! I hadn’t heard of this game before, which looks like it could be adapted endlessly for almost any area - a real star of a game. Diolch yn fawr!

2 Likes

Wow, how fabulous is this! Absolutely brilliant!

Thank you so much for sharing. :wink:

1 Like

Here’s a new crossword. Enjoy, and as always, give me a shout if you can see any mistakes.

Crossword1-18.pdf (2.9 MB)

1 Like