How can we make the forum MORE welcoming?

New user here. I’ve never been a part of any forum on the internet and I love this forum for a lot of reasons:

• Most importantly, I have taken away very helpful advice on how to approach learning with the SSiW method.
  • It makes me feel connected to other Welsh learners, regardless of how advanced.
  • I vote nay on using Welsh ONLY on the forum (if I understood that correctly), beginners are encouraged to not even think about vocabulary, reading, writing. I skip over posts in Welsh entirely at this point but I know I will get a lot out of the posts in Welsh in the future.
  • I personally like reading threads if the subject is something that relates to my journey and I don’t care how long they are.
  • I have seen a lot of talk about unfriendliness on the forum, yet I haven’t run into it anywhere. I realize these were probably in reaction to conversations I wasn’t around for, but I notice a lot of people trying very hard to be friendly even with strong feelings on a subject.
  • I love the “What’s Outside” thread! I love nature and I live in a very rural natural setting that is so different from that in Wales. I don’t identify plants well and I love to see those discussions. I almost posted a photo of the almost three feet of snow where I live just a week and a half ago but I’m not sure if that’s the point of the thread.
  • Names and photos are lovely but I understand the reluctance to do that on the crazy internet and I’m sure it would keep good participants away if mandated.
  • I try to determine if a question that I have has been answered somewhere before I post. That has worked a lot of the time but often answers are about the previous “Courses” so I have gotten confused. Nonetheless, I haven’t felt like asking it again is a bother to anyone - so thank you for that.
  • I vote nay on limiting words/characters. I despise the "getting all one’s thoughts on a subject into a “tweet” sized post " mentality. The internet is impersonal enough and limiting discourse hasn’t done anyone any favors. If the subject doesn’t interest me I don’t read it. If I need to skim a post, I skim it.

Thanks for a lively community!

13 Likes

I agree with the tweet size posts - very limiting!

I also feel that @ramblingjohn deserves an “OMB” (A Tweeter post nominal started by Tudor Owen - it means Oh Mam Bach. It’s his version of the honours list).

EDIT: (That should say Twitter…I quite like tweeter…:smile:)

5 Likes

For all the contributors that keep it fresh.
Cheers J.P.

3 Likes

I believe I’ve said “Welcome to the forum” to you already but better more times then never. :slight_smile:

Further on.

If the question is regarding language and (a bit of) grammar,then it isn’t too different answer of “old course” to the new one (except for the shortenings for the very beginners) so you could pull out something useful from those questions/answers too. On the other hand - if you think your question was not answered or not entirely answered, you are welcome to go ahead and ask. There are many threads with more or less the same questions and no on has been bitten. :slight_smile: There is always someone who has exactly the same questions/problems as you so don’t feel “guilty” if you post it once again especially if you didn’t get it answered in threads you’ve read before.

Why you didn’t? If you scroll quite amount of posts back you’ll see I’ve posted some snow in there too. Not everyone everywhere gets snow so it’s always intresting. I understand the thread as “what’s outside” literally so I believe everything outside is fine to post. I’m sure @ramblingjohn feels the same about the subject, but, yes, he’s in love with nature so birds, insects, butterflies and similar stuff are his subjects of posting his high quality photos.

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

4 Likes

OooOoh, I would have loved to have seen that! Pippa

5 Likes

Thank you for the welcome! I’ll try to post the snow photo. It really was amazing. [quote=“pippapritchard, post:85, topic:7867”]
OooOoh, I would have loved to have seen that! Pippa
[/quote]

I posted that photo for you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Diolch o galon. Thank you. It’s a great photo.