How to get motivated again?

I’ve been struggling to get myself motivated to continue with my journey to learn Welsh. On some days it feels like a big mountain and I’m standing at the bottom.
I get annoyed with myself for not progressing but the motivation is still gone.
Have you been through a similar situation? What did you do to get your motivation back?

Thanks in advance for your advice

1 Like

Hi Sophie, I think it is very common to lose motivation from time to time.
I have found that I have a few months where I do loads and then a while where I get nothing done. When I come back to it the welsh is still there though.
Things that have helped my motivation are chatting to people IRL. When I have a ‘proper’ conversation I always want to learn more. After a holiday to Machynlleth and lots of chats I was very keen.
Good luck

6 Likes

I often have gaps in my learning. Other things in life take over and I don’t seem to have time - the excuses are endless. But actually I think the gaps are important too. They give my brain a bit of breathing space and allow the learning to sink in and be absorbed. But then that is how I work. I like to run full speed with something until I get tired and then do something else for a while.
Often though, when I’m not actually engaging with the lessons, I might do other activities just for fun. Things like trying to read a book (or a page from a book), watching a tv show on s4c clic or maybe one of the cariad@iaith lessons on youtube, or singing along with some welsh music (I have a cerys matthews cd, but if think it’s mostly on youtube).

6 Likes

Random thoughts, really:

• If you don’t live in Wales, try to spend some time there, maybe a few short visits?
  • If you do live in Wales, try to seek out some Welsh speakers and spend time with them
    Try to find some sort of Welsh speaking entertainment venue or similar
  • Just do something different. If you don’t read Welsh books, try one (an easy one). If you don’t have any Welsh music, try finding some. There are a few online magazines.
  • Try Clecs.
  • Be creative. Stick a huge draig goch in your front garden (or hang it out of an upstairs window) and see if anyone knocks at the door. (I know someone with one in his back garden…).
  • Get hold of one of those Welsh learner badges and wear it.
  • find a Welsh crossword.
  • find a recipe for something you like (Bara Brith? Welshcakes?) and try to make it. Find a Welsh version of the recipe or get it translated or translate it yourself.
  • brainstorm…in Welsh. (or in English)
5 Likes

Translate that line and pin it on your wall/door.
Because it’s true about life (welsh can be part of that mountain if you choose).
Take a break and see how long it is before you feel like trying the next lesson).

Cheers J.P.

3 Likes

This forum is pretty motivating too I think! It certainly helps me a lot. Thank you everyone!

3 Likes

When I find that I’m losing motivation, I try to set myself a momentum that pushes me through the rough patch. Try doing more lessons than you normally would over a shorter period, even if it feels like you’re getting nowhere with them. When you look back after a week or so and see how much you’ve accomplished, it might bring some of your motivation back.

3 Likes

Bit of musicians’ advice. Don’t measure forward - try to look how far you’ve come and do as little or as much as you feel like and do it every day. Consistency is the answer, not quantity. Everyone wants to be like someone they see as top of the game but the pace of progress towards God-like status is always a bit dispiriting. If you measure how far you’ve come, that’s always a bit more motivating. Translate into Welsh, "I speak more Welsh than most of the country":grinning:

5 Likes

Ups & downs are perfectly normal. Be kind to yourself about them.
Daw eto haul ar fryn :wink:

3 Likes

[quote=“AnneEvans, post:6, topic:3432, full:true”]
This forum is pretty motivating too I think! It certainly helps me a lot. Thank you everyone!
[/quote] I would agree with that!!! Diolch pawb!!

1 Like

What a set of fantastic responses - I hope these help you, Sophie. What stage are you at right now? Are you working through one of our courses, or doing something else? :sunny:

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the kind and helpful responses. I’ve got one big motivational poster on my door now with your advice on it and I’m feeling much better already :smile:
@aran I’m doing lesson 19 of Level 1 (South) at the moment

3 Likes

Do you find yourself motivated at all by artificial targets? Does the idea of finishing Level 1 appeal to you, or have you got some sort of ‘putting it off’ thing going on there? :sunny:

I am not sure why I’m not motivated to be honest. Finishing Level 1 certainly appeals to me. I’ve booked a trip to Wales now as well so that should motivate me :smile:

4 Likes

All you need is a couple of very small exchanges yn y Gymraeg whilst in Wales Sophie and you will be desperate to know even more for next time you visit! Pob lwc!

1 Like

I find that just going into a shop and saying what you want to buy, paying for it and thanking them as you leave is an enormous boost. Even if the Welsh is primitive and the conversation is short it just doesn’t matter. What does matter is that you have interacted with a Welsh speaker in their language. And they can be really encouraging, patient and supportive so that helps, too. Take your opportunity when it arises.

4 Likes

I’ve sat down and finished lesson 19 :smiley: I was surprised at how much I still remembered. My motivation is back thanks to your help. Lovely forum with lovely people :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

Hi Sophie, a bit late I know… but perhaps for the future, or someone else reading?

Lot’s of things crown in the way and things get difficult, but I always remind myself why I started. “I want to learn Welsh because…”

2 Likes

Ahh - if you’d had a bit of a break, maybe what you were feeling as lack of motivation was just a bit of ‘Oh my God this is going to hurt’ when you thought about starting again… :sunny:

Well done on getting back in the saddle! :star:

2 Likes