How to set up and record to an account in SoundCloud

That’s just tech!
Diolch i helpu, @rich Thanks for helping.

I am trying to set up Soundcloud to record for week 16 task.I have got as far as the upload screen and set the privacy setting. How do I record from there?
Moderator edit: You may find this thread of use. :slight_smile:

I too am having trouble with soundcloud recording.
Once in i am taken to a page which offers me all sorts of music options and when i go to a page which has an option to record, i can record a word but when i try to upload it, an upload failed message appears. None of the pages look like your image. I also can’t find audiocopy in the apps store which has been recommended.

The way to record, upload to SoundCloud, and post to the forum varies depending on the device and operating system you’re using. Below are the basic steps that you need to work through to record the sentences for the 5-minutes test, but if you have specific difficulties you want to ask about, it’s a good idea to include information on whether you’re trying to use the SoundCloud app, and whether it’s on a phone, a tablet, or a PC. I hope this helps demystify the process a little:

1. create a SoundCloud account

2. use some simple voice recording software to record your sentences - the ones you created to say within 5 minutes. Most devices have some kind of built-in voice recorder, but if not, there are lots of basic free ones you can download.

3. Upload your voice file to SoundCloud. Some voice recorders have a "Share to SoundCloud" option and you can use that; otherwise, go into your SoundCloud account, find "Upload", and point that at your voice file.

4. Within SoundCloud, find the "Share" option, which will give you a link to copy. Copy that and paste it into https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/the-5-minutes-test-recordings/1052

1 Like

Hi, how do you set the soundcloud to private please? I have clicked on options and can’t find private. Many thanks Jeanette

Hi, I just recorded myself speaking Welsh and noticed the private button came up afterwards. So all okay now thanks.

1 Like

Where do I post the soundcloud track in the forum?

Go here https://forum.saysomethingin.com/c/welsh/speaking-practice and click on ‘+New Topic’ and that should do the trick… .:slight_smile:

Also - SoundCloud sufferers! - it’s clearly trickier on more devices than we’d like - and yet the underlying idea is an important one - so - can anyone find a better service for posting short audio clips? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello, Im really struggling with sound cloud. I wondered if you could help me with where to find Iain’s guide that you mention in your post? Thanks so much

Hi Joanna, I’m sorry not to have replied sooner. We’ve just teturned from a week on Ynys Enlli which was bendigedig! I struggle with the software both for this and the Slack Youtube etc and it is a while since I had to do the Soundcloud thing: I will try and trAck down Iain’s suggestions but do get lost in the various threads and replies etc. Meanwhile what I remember is downloading Audio copy - an appthat lets you record then somehow getting that onto Soundcloud and by trial and error vconnecting that with the 5minute thread or whatevet. In the end I muddled through and completed the challenges to end of level 2 but didn’t engage with the opportunties to connect with othets and chat etc which has left a big hole in my learning which I regret. Sorry again this is a long way round and i hope not to be discouraging but know I need to go back and gather the missing pieces together. Anyway i will have a look for Iain’s post and get back to you. Good luck. Let me know if you’ve already found out.

Guide to IOS Soundcloud for SSIW’ers.pdf (362.7 KB)
This could be of help to some of you. It’s also in #3-useful-gems in Slack with some other hints if you’re doing the 6 Month or 6 Minute a Day course.

Thank you, Aran:blush:

Apologies if this has been asked already. I’m doing the 6 month course and have got to the stage where I need to be uploading to Soundcloud. The trouble is it seems extremely difficult to upload via mobile (iPhone in my case)! Is there any reason I couldn’t use Evernote where it is easier to upload voice clips on mobile? Do we use Soundcloud to share our clips later on?

Mae flin gyda fi os pobl wedi gofyn hi cyn nawr. Dw i ddim yn hoffi Souncloud ac alla i ddim deall sut i ‘upload’ i hi ar fy iPhone. Ga ni deffnyddio rhywbeth arall - Evernote effellai? Hoffwn i defynddio fy ffon neu tablet achos dw i ddim yn defynddio cyfrifiadur fel arfer.

1 Like

I’ve just had a go at recording my voice on my Android phone and getting it into SoundCloud and it worked. Here are the steps I went through, which will no doubt be different for iPhones, but hopefully similar.

1. I found an app in my Android phone called ‘Voice Recorder’ and I recorded myself using that.

2. I found a ‘Share’ option in Voice Recorder, and I chose to upload it to Google Drive

3. I went into Google Drive on my PC, found the voice file there, and downloaded it onto my Desktop so I could find it easily

4. I logged into SoundCloud.com on my PC and used the ‘Upload’ option to find the file on my Desktop and upload it into SoundCloud, and I set it to Private

5. It then gave me a Share link option, which I’m going to post here and hopefully it will play :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m struggling with soundcloud too. Can’t seem to get the App to record so am using my laptop and recording in garage band. i’ll then try to upload those files.

The SoundCloud app seems to be mainly for listening to tracks, rather than recording. You need to record using something else (most devices have a voice recorder of some sort), then upload those into SoundCloud. The website version in a browser seems easier to use than the app for that.

Hi Aran, bit late downloading the soundcloud but on it now… first problem though is that when I am trying to post the first word , it is saying i’m out of space and to upgrade ?
any idea why this is ?
thanks
Rhodri

1 Like

Hi All
Downloaded app for iPad. No joy at all. Looked at YouTube, followed instructions, nothing.
Went to my Android phone and downloaded the app. Worked like a dream.
Now all I need is to share.

It can be easier to share if you go into the website version, log into your soundcloud account, then find your sound file and look for the ‘Share’ option. That gives you a link to copy and paste into the relevant place on the forum :slight_smile: