I should have learned Welsh and I could have learned Welsh

Intelligent input from our learners is always, always, extremely welcome… :sunny:

I’m not currently sure how best to deal with this - maybe some kind of add-on for post-Level 3 - I’ll let it stew at the back of the stove for a while… :sunny:

3 Likes

I would find that really useful! Although I can often talk fairly fluently now, I still tend to fudge it / avoid direct yes and no answers unless the correct choice happens to present itself blindingly obviously - which it doesn’t very often in the heat of the moment!

4 Likes

Noted… :sunny:

I spent a long, long time falling back on a tried and tested mixture of ‘Pam lai?’, ‘Efallai’, and ‘Dwi ddim yn credu’, if that’s any help…:wink:

7 Likes

Hehe, yes quite!

1 Like

I’m trying to acquaint Eirwen with Marquess of Queensberry rules - so that nothing gets thrown below the waist!!

Thank you @aran. By the way, I like your strategy for getting around the problem. This has been a totally brilliant thread, fully up to SSIW standards, felly, diolch o’r galon i bawb.

1 Like

Sounds a bit like Michael Miles’s “Yes - No Interlude” - GONG!
(although I’m sure you’re far too young to remember that… :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Why not for post-level 2? :slight_smile:

Hmm … I think you’d always answer me “yes” very non-Cymraeg way - “Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaa … ?” :smile: Ask @brigitte I just can’t get out of this habit. :slight_smile:

Hello Bryan - If you have not had a chance to work through the challenges in Level 2 I would highly recommend it. Challenge number 17 has particularly beautiful phases and the conditional sentences, more so towards the end, will give you wonderful practice in using the conditional tense.

You could try Level 2 Challenge 15 first which romps through a range of very useful topics - and if you are comfortable with that, then proceed through 16 and then to Challenge 17 when life starts to get really, really interesting. You won’t be disappointed. And DIOLCH YN FAWR IAWN to Aran, Catrin and everyone who helped create that incredible challenge.

Justin

1 Like

Oooh … I might have a go at that. I’m pretty good when it’s written down, but I often fudge conditionals when I’m speaking. Thanks for the tip-off!

1 Like

Yes - and I see Level 2 Challenge 18 and 19 are now ready - so even more fun to be had.
Justin

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr iawn am y gwybodaeth @JustinandEirwen .

I went through Course 2 some time ago but that was before the new version appeared, and so possibly that was how I missed these challenges. I had thought about doing the new course 2 at some point, so I might abandon course 3, which I’m currently going over for the second time, and have a go at the new course 2 and it’s challenges. That should keep me occupied for a while.

1 Like

I think you will really enjoy Level 2, even having already completed Course 3. I took a similar route and I think I gained some very useful knowledge in Level 1 too. You never feel like you are going backwards. But you could do worse than do the last Challenge of Level 1 which is a review of its entirety. Level 2 starts off quite gently, but from Challenge 15 and on it continues to extend the boundaries of the prior courses in a very enjoyable way,

Justin

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn! Hugely delighted that you enjoyed it… :sunny:

1 Like

Thank you @JustinandEirwen, I’ve decided to stop doing course three temporarily and start Level 2 in order to consolidate my linguistic foundations, which occasionally threaten to bring the whole edifice tumbling down.

I’ve just done challenges 1 & 2 of Level 2 and, although I’m not likely to need to speak to many people about their children, the contents of these challenges look as if they will provide a lot more useful stuff which can be used in other circumstances.

Diolch yn fawr iawn am eich cyngor.

Bryan

2 Likes

Helo Bryan,

When you get to Challenge 18 of Level 2 the conditional tense is so frequently used in the dialogues that it becomes sixth sense. It’s a really wonderful Challenge. Eirwen, however, is not sure that the content is quite as useful as I thought it was. She overheard me practicing (unaware that it was a SSiW Challenge) asking various partners (incredibly beautiful and fascinating ,of course!) if they would like to go out with me.

I think if it could be arranged that as you practice a partner with a smouldering romantic voice replies enthusiastically yes - then this Challenge would be a sell-out at twice the price - but it might have to be accompanied by a warning label!

Justin

2 Likes

:sunny: :fireworks:

I’m rather concerned about this Justin. In view of my advancing years I don’t know whether I’ll be able to stand all the excitement!

4 Likes