I think I would like

Hello. I’m on Challenge 12, and I can’t hear what is being said for the phrase I think I would like … help appreciated

Unless I’ve missed one, there are two “I think I would like…” sentences in challenge 12 and I don’t know which one is troubling you, so here are both.

I think I’d like to go now
If you’re doing the Southern version : Dwi’n meddwl hoffen i fynd nawr
If you’re doing the Northern version : Dwi’n meddwl y liciwn i fynd rwan

I think I’d like to speak Welsh with you
If you’re doing the Southern version : Dwi’n meddwl hoffen i siarad Cymrag gyda ti
If you’re doing the Northern version : Dwi’n meddwl y liciwn i siarad Cymraeg efo chdi

Thanks so much, Sharon. It was the ‘y’ between meddwl and liciwn that I couldn’t pick out. I’m not sure why it’s there, but at least I know what it is now! I really appreciate your help. Judith

2 Likes

The ‘y’ is a ‘that’ - “I think (that) I’d like to…”. ‘that’ is often inferred in English but should be included in Welsh so technically it should be before hoffen in the Southern version too, but sometimes it’s left out in informal speech or blends into the words around it.

1 Like

Thanks again, Sharon. That’s really helpful to know.

1 Like

You will also hear,especially in the North……dwi’n meddwl faswn i’n hoffi/licio mynd….neu. Dwi’n meddwl faswn i’n licio siarad Cymraeg efo chdi

Diolch! I am learning that there cab be more than one option for saying quite a few things!