'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I enjoy the tongue and brain gymnastics!
Also having just made Abergwaun our home I love beginning to understand the cultural life around us. :heart:

2 Likes

Dw i’n moyn i fod siaradwr cymraeg achos dwi’n moyn i allu i siarad i fyng nghariad’s teulu pwy nhw siaradwyr cymraeg. Dw i’n moyn i fod un o’r un miliwn siaradwr cymraeg erbyn dwy fil pum deg.

1 Like

I love Wales.

Not very original, I fear, but it is heartfelt. It really is the reason why I am investing time and energy into learning the language.

I love the countryside from the Wye Valley to Anglesey. From Pembrokeshire to the Marches.

I am not Welsh. I have never lived there, To the best of my knowledge and belief, I have no ancestors or relations who have ever lived there. But I feel very much at home the moment I cross the Severn Bridge or Connah’s Quay.

6 Likes

One thing that I expect to happen after I have learnt to speak Welsh is to understand a civilisation that coexists with my own but much older and in some ways richer.

2 Likes

@jane-elizabeth-lambe I feel exactly the same, it’s strange and interesting isn’t it!

I live on the Welsh border and I travel all over Wales in my motorhome - so it would be fabulous to have conversations in the Welsh language. This has, actually, already started to happen, which thrills me every time it happens and has allowed me to meet new people and find even more great places in Wales locally.

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I was born in Wales so have always felt very at home there, and have always been able to pronounce/understand a few words but never had the chance to learn properly. I love learning languages so at a certain point it just seemed strange to me that I knew so little of the one closest to me!

4 Likes

… because I haven’t learned a Celtic language so far and I find Welsh hugely interesting!

3 Likes

I have wanted to learn my mother tongue for many years but never made the time. Thankfully, that has now changed. :blush:

Great course by the way!! Diolch Aran and Co

3 Likes

Because I don’t feel truly Welsh not being able to speak the language :frowning:

2 Likes

It’s just a beautiful language. Something this beautiful needs to be preserved and protected at all costs.

4 Likes

I moved to Wales as a child and have spent most of my life here. I never learned to speak Welsh in school and wanted to learn the language of my adopted homeland. As a teacher I also want to feel more confident speaking Welsh in the classroom and not just using the basics to get by. Lastly, I want to be able to watch and understand Welsh TV.

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my father started life speaking Welsh and ended speaking only English. I want to reverse the process in my lifetime.

3 Likes

I want to learn to speak Welsh so that I can speak to my dad in his first language and so that I feel confident teaching Welsh to my primary pupils in school.

4 Likes

I want to be able to speak with family members who are first language welsh

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker, because I want to connect with my heritage better.

2 Likes

God bless.

I want to be a Welsh speaker so I understand the Welsh I have to teach as a supply teacher! I hope to be able to use my Welsh in my work and surprise everyone who laughs at me for being English!!

4 Likes

That severn bridge is marmite love it one way hate it the other
How ever hard i try it makes me cry the way back to Englandi try not to.

1 Like

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I have always been fascinated by Wales and the culture.

3 Likes