'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

At the other end of the world with nobody to speak Welsh to, I hang onto the idea that I do not need a reason. It is enough that the learning feels good. Learning Welsh gives my mind focus at a time when the distraction of my work collapsing around me is distressing. And my ancestors spoke it.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because Ive lived in Wales all my life and its ridiculous that I cant speak more than I do - I do already speak a small amount. Also, Ive a couple of friends (who I only see once or twice a year) for whom Welsh is their first language, and it`s embarrassing that they have to switch to English to include me in the conversation.

3 Likes

I want to learn Welsh so one day I move to North Wales and integrate fully into the community.

4 Likes

ā€¦because I was born a Welshman and my family will be so proud that I am finally able to speak the language of my birth.

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want my children to stay connected to all their family roots, culturally and linguistically.

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I have had a lot of customers who`s first language is Welsh, and I have missed opportunities for being on S4C but most of all because I love Wales.

3 Likes

Well I want to become a Welsh speaker because my biological farther was North Walian, and I would like to learn the language. I am also interested in Welsh culture and history. (Also just a quick question, I did not get invited to Slack via email - Is this normal)

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to speak Welsh and have always wished that I could speak it, since I was a child.

4 Likes

Going to slightly cheat here and use what Iā€™ve learnt so far

Dwi moyn dysgu siarad cymraeg achos dwi caru cymru a dwi moyn Yr iaith cymraeg parhau.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not the Welshman I could be without it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I want to speak Welsh with my kids and in work with colleagues. Confidently.

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I have family whoā€™s first language is Welsh and would love to be able to speak to them in Welsh. Also because Iā€™d like to move to North Wales as soon as I can, and be able to speak the language day to day. This ties into my hopes too.

5 Likes

Hi, Johnnie. If you asked for an invitation to join the Welsh Speaking Practice group on Slack, (by e-mailing admin@saysomethingin.com), and you didnā€™t get a reply, then yes, thereā€™s been a glitch. Please e-mail again!

I want to be a Welsh speaker for many reasons: because I am interested in languages; because Welsh sounds so beautiful; because it is going to be a real challenge to me. I was sucked in by the taster and Iā€™m finding the SaySomethingIn method really exciting and the challenges have brightened up a really tough year. I am looking forward to visiting Wales when things get better and having a go.

6 Likes

i want to be able to communicate with Welsh speaking relatives in their first language

4 Likes

I was born and brought up in Wales and I love the language. I hope to be able to speak Welsh when I go home to Wales.

4 Likes

*I want to be a Welsh speaker because, after many years living and working outside of Wales Iā€™ve finally retired back home, and now have the time learn my native language.
Once I have mastered ā€œentryā€ level Welsh with SSIW I hope and enjoy rediscovering our proud history and culture through its language!

3 Likes

I want to relate more closely to my roots as I feel a part of me is ā€œmissingā€; I want to support the young members of the family who have the opportunity to learn Welsh in school that was denied me; and feel strongly about helping to preserve the language for the future

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker becauseā€¦ I guess quite simply because it is the language of where I liveā€¦ and hope that one day I can discuss this answer more fully - in Welsh.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my father and his family spoke Welsh and I loved hearing Welsh being spoken in our corner shop when I was a child.
I hope to make myself understood by fluent Welsh speakers and learners like myself.

3 Likes