'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

My grandfather and all my greataunts and uncles were all first language Welsh speakers, but me and my generation were not allowed to speak Welsh in school or the home because " it would hold you back". Now its time to put that right!

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I love Wales and want to be able to speak to my neighbours in their language.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I have lived in Wales for over 40 years and it’s about time I made the effort to learn and I also want to achieve something positive during the pandemic lockdowns

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker out of pure enjoyment of the language. I don’t live in Wales, nor do I have any Welsh heritage that I’m aware of, I just want to learn. Because it’s fun (if challenging)! And, thanks to lockdown, I’ve had some free time to at least start. Plus it would be great if I could read and understand untranslated Welsh poetry, songs and literature, as well as communicate with native speakers someday. And because I am a crazy person, I’d love to learn all of the Celtic languages, although this along with Scottish Gaelic (and a wee bit of Irish) are my only ones thus far.

4 Likes

I want to speak Welsh because I live in Wales now. I hope to be able to have a conversation in Welsh.

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because…we spend a lot of time in North Wales in and around Porthmadog as my fiancée has been volunteering as a guard on the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways since the 1970s and we have a lot of friends and neighbours there who speak Welsh. We are planning to spend a lot more time there when we retire in a few years and hope that speaking Welsh will help us feel more integrated with the community. Plus is a great way of keeping the old brain cells ticking over :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I´m sorry, but it is impossible for me to describe it in one sentence – allow me this exception:

1 – Y Taith

The beginning: a long journey starting in the bucolic meads of the Usk, going south west to the Gower coast and later to the outside area: Skomer and the mainland cliffs. Coast path, beaches, currents. Always walking, watching, painting. Then the vast landscape and their inhabitants in Midwales and the Cambrian Mountains: Trees, incredible never seen trees, waters, wildlife, especially birds, also farmanimals, people. Always incredible impressions. To much to assimilate it all. Longing. Dw i´n caru Cymru.

I never got to the intended end at the snowdonian north coast in Conwy. It ended – you perhaps guess it – on the slopes of Cadair Idris.

2 – Yr Iaith

When I first heard Welsh I already thought what a beautiful language. But it got more and more fascinating by reading short essays about its history. Unbelievable, sad, but also future.

People say talking Swedish is singing and I agree. Spoken Welsh is also like a song but different. Swedish is singing through intonation. Welsh sounds for me like archaic poetry. Its like reciting a song – by rhythm and sound, perhaps mostly caused by the relationship and interference between the words. Amazing ? – No, enchanting.

3 – Y Dymuniad

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to travel as a Welsh speaker through Cymru for getting nearer to the soul of this land. By meeting people and making music together, painting the landscapes and countryside to feel its emotions, to sense the steep hills and long valleys by riding the bike along its ways with prospects and horizons which never ends, fishing the fly in remote rivers, understand untranslated poetry, songs and literature and … siarad Cymraeg efo chdi.

5 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker so that I can communicate with my friends and neighbours in Welsh.

3 Likes

Dw i’n moyn siarad Cymraeg oherwydd hoffwn i siarad gyda fy nghefyndrydd sy’n byw yn Nhregaron a Pwllellhi. hefyd dwi’n moyn yr iaith i barhau, wrth gwrs. Pob lwc, Jim.

3 Likes

Because after years of trying I will be able to speak confidently with family and friends

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it is my language! And the language of my ancestry and my homeland - I love its history and how musical it sounds …

4 Likes

dw i’n moyn i siarad a fy wyrion yng Nghaerydydd

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I think it may improve my job prospects. Also, even the little Welsh I have learnt so far has opened up a whole new exciting side to my Welsh heritage and culture that I was barely acquainted with before, despite living my whole life in Wales. Oh, I also enjoy the mental challenge!

6 Likes

Achos dwi’n byw yng nghymru a byddai’n rhyfedd os oni’n ddim gyllu siarad Cymraeg.

3 Likes

Dw i’n eisiau siarad Cymraeg achos dw i’n byw yng Nghymru.

4 Likes

I never had the opportunity to learn Welsh in school and always promised myself that one day I would try and learn a little Welsh but until now always used the ‘I’m too busy’ excuse. I now have two young Grandsons who are attending a welsh medium nursery and primary school and am determined to be able to speak Welsh with them as they grow up.

6 Likes

Rwân, dw i’n gobeithio bo fi’n cyfle i siarad Cymraeg mwy.

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I’m embarrassed that I can’t speak the language properly.

3 Likes

In short, because I’ve grown to love the sound of my native language so much and have become more aware than ever that we need to work to keep it alive and growing.
I live in Maesteg, Mid Glamorgan which now has a Welsh medium school serving the surrounding borough and have friends and family who speak welsh ( including two who are natives of Porthmadog). So after contemplating learning Cymrag for many years and after retiring recently I decided to really go for it when I discovered the brilliant SSiW.
In the future I hope I will, at last, be able to converse with friends and other Welsh speakers when my wife and I tour Wales in our caravan. But also to feel a greater connection to welsh culture old and new ie: music, poetry, TV (S4C) and film.

5 Likes

I want to be able to speak to my dad in Welsh, he started learning just before me!

5 Likes