'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I would love to be a welsh speaker because it’s hard and a challenge. Also, my dad speaks welsh and I would love to have a better conversation with him, other than ‘Dw i’n hoffi coffee!’

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because,having lived and worked in the South Wales valleys most of my life,and now residing in Pembrokshire,I felt as though I was cheating on my fellow residents not being able to converse in Cymraeg with conversation reverting back to English to accommodate my ignorance,I started with Say Something in Welsh and I think I’m doing ok,however lessons 13’14, and 15 has tested my resolve to the full and many times I’ve thought of giving up[rhoir ffidil yn y to], but I’m still in the game.
Diolch yn far iawn ddweud rhywbeth yn Gymraeg.

4 Likes

I am working at Aberystwyth University , and also i live here and wanted to learn the National language of Wales

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to be able to unlock that lovely language and properly be part of the country and culture like my Dad and Gran and Grandad and I suppose to show that I can.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it’s part of my heritage. I hope I will be able to communicate in Welsh when I finally am able to travel to the homeland (Cymru).

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it is a beautiful language with an amazing history, and I want it to survive.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I grew up with a Welsh-speaking grandmother. Although I grew up in Essex, I always felt more Welsh than English and somehow naked without being able to speak Cymraeg. Coming across SSiW was like a door opening into the past and the future in one. I love practising this old/new language and am looking forward to being able to deepen connections with my Welsh / Celtic ancestors.

5 Likes

I’ve been visiting Wales on holidays for years, love the countryside and the people are so friendly. Now that I’ve retired we intend to go more often (once we can!) so I think it would be fantastic to be able to speak the language.
I hope that my desire to learn Welsh will show the folks in Wales that there are plenty of ‘foreigners’ who want to support the culture and language of Wales :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Like a number of others have said, I loved holidays in Wales in the past. As a teen, I used to holiday with my family in the same guest house in Llandudno every year. One year, there was a fantastic woman in her 90s staying, name of Blodwen, and she spoke only Welsh, no real English. I’ve wanted to learn since those days, but particularly since I moved to Wales last August. I discovered this site the other day and now I finally feel that dysgu Cymraeg is a possibility! Very excited to get started…

5 Likes

I want to learn Welsh to speak the language of my country and converse bilingually with my fluent daughters.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to understand the rugby commentary on S4C, and I want to help the language of my country come back.

I hope my sister Sarah will be be proud of me and we can speak together in Welsh.

3 Likes

This is so lovely!

I want to speak welsh because my grandparents and father spoke welsh, they are no longer with us but I want to connect with my roots and reinforce my inherited nationality.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to surprise and converse with my Welsh speaking friends next Christmas, who don’t know I am learning it.

6 Likes

My grandparents, and father were welsh first language and I always regretted the fact that I didn’t have a welsh medium education. This is a wonderful opportunity to redress the balance.

4 Likes

Dwi’n moyn bod siaradwr Cymraeg achos dwi’n moyn teimlo’n fwy Cymreig. (hope that is correct)

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it is my heritage and I want to reclaim it and open the door of this wonderful culture to my children and my children’s children.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because being Welsh is part of who I am.

2 Likes

I want to enjoy and create art in Welsh

2 Likes

…because I now live in Wales and am fascinated by Welsh as a language. 10 weeks of Saysomethingin has convinced me it’s worth persisting with the course!

4 Likes