'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

My young son speaks Welsh in school and I want to show him that is important to learn so Im learning with him. Also my wife speaks Welsh so its a family thing.

3 Likes

because the language was lost to my family 3 generations ago and its time we got it back :-))

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I am embarrassed that I canā€™t. When people say oh your from Wales, can you speak Welsh? I will be able to say yes I can! with confidence.

4 Likes

although I was born and raised in England, I moved to Wales as a teenager and have lived here ever since. Wales is home and I love it - and I think the Welsh language is very important and really precious. One thing I hope will happen is that I will be able to speak Welsh with S4C when I next run the Snowdonia Marathon.

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I love languages and my great-grandpa could speak Welsh. He was from Wales and he was a great guy. I decided I want to learn the language he knew.
He used to try to teach my mom Welsh when she was little. They would have long sock ā€œfightsā€ while yelling ā€œhosanau!ā€ with each toss. :grin: He was a funny guy. :heart:

4 Likes

Aha - was that what was going on when Jesus ride into Jerusalem?
#PalmSunday

1 Like

I want to be a Welsh speaker to support my young daughter who attends a Welsh language school. Despite spending the first few years of her life in Yorkshire, the effortlessness with which sheā€™s learning Welsh is inspiringā€¦ and the perfect motivation to keep me pushing on with my Welsh! Now living in a rural Welsh village, I also want to be a Welsh speaker to feel a more integral part of the community, and to show respect for the heritage & culture of where I live.

6 Likes

We hope to move to S Wales near Llandeilo where my husband still have relativesā€¦ and they are all native Welsh speakersā€¦ and I think Welsh is such a beautiful language to listen to ā€¦ and I think as an English personā€¦ I should make the effort to learn to understand and speak it as it is such an integral part of Welsh cultureā€¦ and itā€™s fun to try and chat to my aunt already in pigeon Welsh and entertain her with my accentšŸ˜‚

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker mostly because Iā€™m a huge nerd for Welsh history/literature/folklore, but also because learning Welsh has proven to be extremely therapeutic.

As for the second question, I canā€™t really think of any specific thing I hope will happen. Iā€™m American, so practical, realistic scenarios for speaking Welsh do not easily spring to mind (I have plenty of un- and semirealistic ones, though). Honestly, the greatest thing that Iā€™m looking forward to is the feeling of vindication. Iā€™ve spent too much of my life trying to learn the things I thought I ā€œshouldā€ learn instead of the things I wanted to learn, and it hasnā€™t really gotten me anywhere. By contrast, I started learning Welsh because of a personal interest in Welsh history and culture, and also because the language just felt right. Now, Iā€™m not only enjoying myself, Iā€™m also doing a lot better at it than any other language Iā€™ve tried to learn (learners need a genuine interest in order to succeed! Who would have thought?). I feel like the whole process is teaching me to trust my own judgment, and becoming a successful Welsh speaker will only confirm that.

9 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because itā€™s a beautiful language and I love how it sounds!
I hope that I can get a better understanding of Welsh culture and folklore through speaking the language. And maybe (if Iā€™m not too shy) I might have some nice convos in Welsh too!

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because when I had my Tonsils out staying in hospital age 6 in my nearest hospital where all the ward and staff spoke Welsh in Glangwilli living in South Pembs I felt disconnected.

4 Likes

I live in Ceredigion, love the place, many people I know are Welsh with Welsh as their first language; I also like watching Welsh programs, without subtitles, one day; itā€™s a cultural thing; but I also feel it is wrong that a small nation was forced to give up itā€™s identity, so I am trying to do my bit :blush: Seeing in the faces of so many Welsh people how much it matters that you are giving it a go, saying hello etc in Welshā€¦Makes it worth while if nothing else will :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

I think itā€™s important to keep the Welsh language going. The one thing that would change if I succeed , is that I could speak and understand my grandaughter who goes to Welsh school !

3 Likes

Two of my grand-sons are welsh speakers and I want to be able to speak with them and understand their concerts at school.

3 Likes

Dwiā€™n moyn siarad Cymraeg yn rhrygl I siarad Cymraeg gyda fy wyrion pwy syā€™n mynd I Ysgol Cymraeg Bro Ogwr

4 Likes

Hi, dw iā€™n moyn siarad Cymraeg achos hoffwn i deall Pobol y Cwm heb isdeitlauā€¦

3 Likes

I finally moved to Wales a few months ago after visiting all my life (loving it by the way and had a brilliant welcome) but I simply want to feel more part of the community. I hope that by understanding and speaking Welsh Iā€™ll get some of that richness that only comes with speaking the language.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I love languages and wasnā€™t able to learn it in school in Wales. It has always haunted me that I canā€™t speak my native tongue.

4 Likes

To learn the language of my fore fathers so I can speak it with my Mum and the children xx

5 Likes

I feel living in a small village, i would like to part of everything, and that includes being a Welsh speaker.

4 Likes