'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I’m intending to return to Wales and learning the language is an expression of my love for Wales and respect for myself. I hope that speaking Welsh will give me a greater sense of belonging and lead me into all kinds of adventures.[quote=“aran, post:1, topic:10504, full:true”]
What’s your WHY?

How would you finish the sentence ‘I want to be a Welsh speaker because…’?

Just ONE sentence…

I want to be a Welsh speaker because…

And what’s ONE thing you hope will happen when you are a Welsh speaker?

[Okay, okay, if you already are, what’s ONE thing that pleased you that’s happened because you became a Welsh speaker? :slight_smile: ]
[/quote]

1 Like

I want to become a Welsh speaker because I love Wales and my wife and I are returning at the end of the year to live forever.

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I feel like it’s a part of my national identity that I’ve never really been able to engage in properly, and I would really love to be able to. It would also open a lot more doors for me career-wise I guess :+1:

Once I am a Welsh speaker, I’d love to be able to go out and order a meal in Welsh and just have general chats with my Welsh speaking mates

4 Likes

…because I’m sort of London-Welsh diaspora but have long lived in Wales, I’ve Welsh names and was born on St David’s Day, and every time someone has expectantly said ‘Siarad cymraeg?’ to me (it’s happened a lot!) I’ve felt something of a failure and a let down! But also learning for family, heritage/cultural and social reasons.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I have always felt by not being able to speak, something was missing.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it’s part of me; I was born and brought up in Wales but my family moved away.

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to be able to speak Welsh with my family (and understand what they are saying when I know they’re talking about me!)

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my boyfriend speaks it, all his family speak it and all of his friends, so I’m getting loads of brownie points for doing this :wink:

Plus, the culture has been fascinating to learn about and everyone has been so lovely and supportive. It makes me realise how absurdly ignorant and dismissive I was until I started learning, and how bizarre it is that we (in England) are never taught about Welsh or Wales!

6 Likes

Shw mae Pawb,

O’n i moyn siarad Gymraeg gyda fy wyth ŵyr, a dw i’n mynd i siarad Cymraeg gdya nhw!

Please correct any grammer mistakes, felly dw i’n dysgu mwy.

Diolch Thanks
John

4 Likes

Hi @johnsoper, I’ve moved your message here so that it can be a part of this lively, ongoing thread. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because - even though I am English, I find the Welsh language fascinating and it is great that more people are able to speak - and therefore protect - this wonderful language. The more I learn of the language, the more I hope to learn about Wales and Welsh culture.

6 Likes

I want to learn Welsh to revisit my heritage and feel more connected to the people and in which I love. I’m also hugely proud that this ancient language is still so widely spoken and celebrated and I want to be part of that

6 Likes

It was and is important to me, living in Ceredigion among Welsh speakers and now also have “acquired” a Welsh speaking boyfriend :blush:

6 Likes

i was ashamed of myself. When my daughter met and later married a englishman and i met his parents for the first time they asked me to say something to them in welsh and i couldn’t.

I hope i’ll now be able to tell them something interesting in my native tongue when next we meet.

5 Likes

I am 70 years old and have been told that learning a new language can help prevent the onset of dementia.

I live in England but have decided that the language that I want to learn is Welsh, because that is the language of my ancestors.

I may not get to be a Welsh speaker but learning it is a lot of fun.

12 Likes

Maybe in time find a Welsh speaking pen pal? Good practice, writing things down helps me cement it

3 Likes

I want to learn Welsh because it will enable me to engage with my local community more, this is important for myself and my business.
I am a Funeral Director and being able to engage with people in their preferred language, during a time that is often extremely stressful and upsetting, would help make what they are going through a touch easier.

9 Likes

My Mamgu sadly died this year and she was a native Welsh speaker, I never spoke welsh fluently while she was alive, only spoke in broken Welsh, but now I want to become fluent in her memory to help keep the language alive which is something she was passionate about.

When I am a Welsh speaker I will help others learn Welsh to make my Mamgu proud :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I think that’s one of the loveliest and most caring reasons I’ve seen :heart:

11 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I am Welsh and have come home to live after working in England. I learn’t Welsh in school but 60 years later have forgotten most.

I hope to be able to speak to my cousins in our language.

6 Likes