'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I want to be a welsh speaker because I’m a welshman.
Dw i isio bod siaradwr cymraeg achos dw i’n cymro.

It will help me to enjoy my experience with my choir (Cor Meibion Trelawnyd)

6 Likes

Because I have just moved to Wales and would love to chat to people at work and home in Welsh. Also my children have just started Welsh medium school and I want to help them learn.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because, I was born in North Wales. My parents moved to Australia when I was six, I still live in Australia.
My late mother was a fluent Welsh speaker . I wasn’t interested in learning Welsh growing up but now I find a longing to speak it and be immersed in this beautiful language and culture.
Learning Welsh is causing my brain to fry a bit though, but that’s ok , slow and steady .
Hopefully one day I will be a confident Welsh speaker , travel to Wales and speak it in the village where I was born . A bucket list / hearts desire for me. x

11 Likes

Dw i’n moyn bod yn siaradwr Cymraeg achos dw i’n caru’r iaith ac roedd fy nhad yn Gymraeg.

7 Likes

It’s in my blood, my late parents were Welsh speakers and now I have come home I won’t feel totally happy until I can converse in my country’s language. I feel more passionate about not losing my heritage and preserving Welsh culture than ever since starting to learn welsh.

6 Likes

I want to play a full part in my new community

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because of family heritage, a longing to spend more time in West Wales, as also because it is something that I am doing solely for me. There is no pressure or expectations… or dire consequences! And I love the SSi method - no front loading of any grammar rules to stress over. It makes the process enjoyable.

7 Likes

I want to learn to speak Welsh so that I can better relate with friends I have in Nefyn Pen Llyn.

8 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to know more of the UK’s languages! Welsh is beautiful, and I would love to make new Welsh friends, and Welsh-speaking friends, who love it too.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I live and work in an area which has a high number of Welsh first language speakers who have to swap to English for me to understand them fully which, although appreciated, they shouldn’t have to do.

8 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I moved to Wales from England this year and I want to speak the language of the country that I live in. I think every language is a unique and precious thing, bound up with a people’s history and culture, and I’d like to feel a connection with that. Even though it is rare to hear Welsh spoken in the part of Wales I live in, there is Welsh everywhere on roadsigns, in supermarkets, on information boards and so on. It would be very difficult NOT to pick up a bit of Welsh from all this, so it seems sensible to take advantage of it. And it’s a really interesting thing to do. And I love how it sounds.

8 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker as my family and I now live in Wales and want to hopefully converse with neighbours and people when working :grin:

7 Likes

I want to learn Welsh because it’s something different and I think it’d be amazing to one day be able to live in Wales and potentially even work, using the Welsh language.

7 Likes

… I am moving to Wales next year and it will open up a whole new world to me.

I’d like to surprise someone if I ever get good enough when they learn that I am not a native Welsh speaker

7 Likes

…it opens up new opportunities.

6 Likes

… I want to be able to watch S4C without subtitles :wink:

7 Likes

My grandmother was Welsh and I’d love to visit and spend some time there after the pandemic is over. I want to keep my brain sharp and do something just for me as my kids get older. The kids know about their Irish heritage from their Dad’s side but I want them to learn about their Welsh roots as well.

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because …my daughter is bilingual and i want to be able to communicate with her in both languages.

I want to feel closer to my culture and country !

8 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because we moved to Wales in April of this year. I don’t really have any friends here yet and sometimes don’t feel like I belong. I think learning the language will make me feel more part of the community. It’s challenging but gives a great sense of satisfaction when something sticks!!!

8 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it is a wonderful language and it would be a great achievement to be able to converse in Welsh.

7 Likes