'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

one day I’d like to teach other choir members how to say it right, sing it right and know what it means. “I bob un sy’n ffyddlon dan ei faner ef” and to further maintain the tradition of Welsh Male Voice Choirs in North America

4 Likes

Dw i isio siarad Cymraeg achos dw i isio gwneud cerddoriaeth metal Cymraeg, a dw i isio dysgu mwy ieithioedd celtaidd pan dw i’n ei siarad hi’n dda

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want the connection to my mother’s country and culture. The language is so beautiful and really speaks to something inside me. It makes me feel at home.

6 Likes

I would like to be able to speak in Welsh to my neighbours and I hope they will understand me!

4 Likes

… when I wrote my father’s eulogy I was ashamed of that from his parents being 1st language speakers to his daughter speaking fewer than 50 (badly pronounced) words a language was lost and it is pechod ofnadwy and mae duw yn gwylio (or worse Ganna is)…

3 Likes

I want to learn Welsh to make my Dad and my Welsh family proud.
Once I’ve learnt to speak Welsh, I hope I can talk to my cousins and family more often and hear their funny stories first hand in Welsh.

5 Likes

I’m moving to Ammanford, and I want to be able to speak at least enough Welsh to have a conversation with people. My gran was from Swansea, and its always felt like a second home as I visited there so many times. I’m really impressed with the SSiW method. I really struggled with languages at school - so much so that I failed French ‘O’ level despite putting in more work than all the other subjects combined. In fact French was the only exam I’ve ever failed ! So finding a method that works for me is a revelation. Compared to Duolingo I’m finding that SSiW is sticking far more in my brain, and I’m actually able to string some basic sentences together fairly easily now. So a big thanks to the SSiW team for providing such a great resource.

4 Likes

to do something for myself, to keep my brain active, because it’s the language of the country where I live, because two of my grandchildren will be bilingual.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it’s a lovely language & we have holidayed in north Wales every year for over 25 years. So I thought it was about time I learnt more than the odd word, so I can speak to locals in their own language. Also this would come in useful for when we win the lottery & buy a bungalow by the sea in Wales! (One can dream! :joy:). As far was what this will change in my life, probably not much to be honest, except for the fact I will feel like I am contributing to keeping the Welsh language alive in a small way, which I think is important. The languages of the UK should not be allowed to die out, they are part of our history & our future.

8 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to be able to have real conversations with my lovely girlfriend in her own language, kind of meeting her halfway by knowing the language, and showing my commitment to her. (I am also loving the intellectual challenge this process is giving me!)

5 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because…

my son will be a welsh speaker given that he’ll be attending a welsh school!

3 Likes

Dw i isio bod siaradwr Cymraeg achos dw i’n caru yr iaith a dw i’n meddwl bo’hi’n ddiddorol.

4 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because I’ve been visiting Bala for many years and I want to be able to talk with my Welsh speaking friends, its fun learning the language and trying it out on them :laughing:

5 Likes

… I’ll be able to speak with our Welsh friends when we visit in August

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I am Welsh and I feel ashamed I can’t speak the language of my country and I think I am missing out on a whole culture.

3 Likes

…it’s part of my heritage and I want to reconnect with my culture.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I moved to North Wales back in September 2016 and I now have a job here where I have made some good friends and spend a lot of time with people whose first language is Welsh.
I have tried before and given up, this time I am really going to try hard and already I can understand so much more. It is not without its challenges but I have enjoyed the first 9 weeks of SSiW.

6 Likes

I want to speak the language of my country and my heart :sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

Great that you’re off to such an excellent start :star2:

1 Like

The best reason of all :slight_smile:

1 Like