'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I want to be a Welsh speaker so I can once again communicate with me Welsh friends in Welsh. I lived in North Wales until I was 7 then moved to England - but every year we went back to see them…and spoke in English! A great shame! Your course is brilliant - it is dragging all sorts of welsh words I didn’t know I knew - from the depths of my brain! I also speak French and thought |I would get the two languages muddled - but so far so good!
A big thank you!

6 Likes

I hope that when I can call myself a Welsh speaker, that the Welsh people I am speaking with will also be able to honestly call me a Welsh speaker.

5 Likes

Great that you’re off to such an excellent start - you’ll definitely have loads and loads of passive Welsh tucked away in there - can’t wait to hear how it goes for you!

1 Like

It’s usually the learner who is the last to call themselves a speaker, so if you do, I’m sure they will :slightly_smiling_face::star2:

3 Likes

I want to learn to speak Welsh because I enjoy living in Wales and feel that I am a citizen of the country.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it’s a beautiful language. I have Welsh friends and I’d like to know what they mean when they say things in Welsh. I might move there one day (I was planning on it before certain political things prevented me from being allowed to without a visa), and if I do, my job would require some level of it. It’s also so different in phonemes and structure than any other language I’ve learnt that it would help bridge a gap if I one day decide to learn another that has similarities. Even if it never ends up affecting my life in any way, I’ll have learned more about a culture that has a strong identity and history in its own language, rather than in translation.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to learn to deliver training in Welsh in my new job.
I hope that this will be appreciated by the Welsh speakers that I will work with and help me build friendships.
The Welsh I have learnt so far is enabling me to communicate in Welsh more with my Welsh speaking wife and children, which we all enjoy and it is helping me feel more connected to my Welsh heritage.

5 Likes

Sorry Aran. I promise not to be the first person to call me a Welsh speaker.

I’ve no idea really but it seems like the thing to do. Once I am a Welsh speaker I hope to be able to chat away to people wherever I am in Wales.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it’s important to me to show respect for, and to learn more about, Welsh culture and to do my bit in keeping this beautiful language alive.

5 Likes

I hope we understood each other here! I’m just saying you don’t need to worry about people recognising your success and including you :star2: :star:

I want to be a Welsh speaker because, when I visit Wales I want to be able to speak to people in their own language.

6 Likes

Superb attitude - thank you!

1 Like

I want to be a Welsh speaker because when I visited Wales I knew I was finally home.

6 Likes

Yes indeed, thank you Aran!

1 Like

I have moved to Wales and its the heart language of Welsh speakers.
I hope to be able to speak to people I meet at the shops or church or anywhere really.

5 Likes

My first post (dw i’n meddwl)
I want to be a Welsh speaker as its always been a missing part of me. It has been a lifelong regret not to have been raised with Welsh after my Dad was a Welsh speaker but didn’t pass that on to me. Also, I listen to Radio Cymru every day and I want to be able to understand all of it.

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Desra - I always particularly admire people who bring the language back to life in their own families when it wasn’t given to them on a plate :muscle: :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I feel I lost something when my grandparents decided that Welsh as a first language was of no use, and they’d raise us to speak only English instead.

6 Likes

I actually haven’t figured out yet why I want to be a Welsh speaker. I just enjoy learning it so much. I love the SSi method of learning and I think Welsh sounds absolutely beautiful. I don’t have many opportunities to use it but I hope one day to meet a Welsh dragon who will spare me in appreciation of my efforts.

7 Likes