'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I want to be a welsh speaker because we have just moved to Caernarfon and EVERYONE speaks welsh. My children attend a welsh-speaking school and I want us to learn together as a family. It sounds like a beautiful language!

8 Likes

So in addition to my original reasons to signing up to the 6month Welsh Speakers course ( family speak Welsh, Iā€™d like to deliver my Bikeability courses in Welsh when I am in Welsh speaking schools, I donā€™t feel completely Welsh without the language), I have now put a bit of pressure on myself. My 6MWS course ends in August so to coincide that with the National Eisteddfod, I intend to cycle from Caregwbi to Caerdydd (Eisteddfod Genedlaethol) using only Welsh! See my Taith Heb Saesneg thread.

10 Likes

Pob lwc gyda hynny!

1 Like

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to give my son the best possible start in life and being able to speak Welsh while living in Wales will allow us both to access and partake in so many more communities and opportunities.

7 Likes

When Iā€™m learning and I need a bit of a boost I come to this thread. :100:

4 Likes

How did I only just notice this? Ah well. I am a Welsh speaker (with, admittedly, a lot still to learn). I originally wanted to become a Welsh speaker because I had a Welsh speaking partner and didnā€™t want to be the kind of person who ends up asking their partner not to speak their own language. That relationship ended, but by that point Iā€™d already developed an affection for Wales and its language. Now, Iā€™m in a relationship with a different person who also speaks Welsh. My current partner is autistic, and sometimes loses the ability to speak English (but not Welsh) in stressful situations.

That last part, incidentally, is why the idea of learning a language based on utility is fallacious - English speakers already speak the only language theyā€™ll ever really ā€œneedā€, and like with most skills, no matter what language you learn youā€™ll probably find a use for it.

8 Likes

Hi there,
I liked your post as it resonates with me. My grandson is at a Welsh medium school, heā€™s only 4 and I want to be able to help him to learn as he grows (although he is a much quicker learner than me). I was born in Wales but have never spoken Welsh outside of what I learnt in school. It still surprises me how much I still remember!

6 Likes

Because I never got the chance to learn my grandparentā€™s language as a child, which made me sad not to be able to connect to my own history. And also because I want to be able to get a really good job and not feel like an outsider in my own culture :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am on the 6mws course and must be a good girl/woman/person and fulfil a task I have missed somewhere along the line to affirm or re-affirm my reasons for wanting to achieve, and actually for achieving, fluency yn (y) Gymraeg.

Well, I tell you, monoglot fears and insularity in ex-imperial or covertly imperialistic language environments, and all the hypocrisy around British/American values/superiority/human rights moral highground is all so huge, it pains me to be forced to keep spelling these things out and puts me in the wrong emotional state to progress fully in Welsh. Paradoxically, @Deborah-SSi! @aran @Iestyn I feel 6mws weekly or twice weekly emails with pep talks and tasks are like having teeth pulled for me personally. Janet, you express my core values simply and effectively. Meeting @andyjone and Mark (sorry canā€™t tag him) in Coventry was a balm: I am not Welsh; learning Welsh is still imperative for me. Digon wedi dweud/Nuff said.

Maeā€™n ddrwg gen i os my positivity comes out negatively as depression and frustration. I think boā€™/felly dych chiā€™n dda iawn, pawb! Huge love thanks. Maeā€™r freedom to codeswitch a human right!

2 Likes

Gog, I envy you. Please let us have Multilingual Bikeability meets across [what is currently, at least theoretically, nominally, legally] the ā€œUā€K and/or Ireland and other islands in this North East Atlantic Archipelago. I want to know how to express anger in Cornish and Breton and Irish and German and French when I have fluffed my gear change and flipped my chain offā€¦ I want to glide from a safe start clear of parked cars into a traffic filled street, and to co-ordinate my speed and road positioning with traffic calming measures and bus drivers trained in Bike Awareness so as to frustrate mad ā€œboy/girl car racersā€ who treat urban streets as racecourses even as they commute or go for a leisure spin of a Friday evening, and/or I want to encourage stressedly unthinking harrassed parents parking huge 4x4s on zigzags outside schoolgates at school rush-hour to reconsider their options. First, we have naming of parts, and an M check to performā€¦ yn y Gymraeg, as Gaeilge, en franƧais, etc

1 Like

To be able to speak Welsh with my children and parents in Welsh. I am passionate about learning to revive our families language again, something which I missed out on whilst growing up with a move to England. Back in Wales now and learning the language really gives me a sense of belonging. I wish my grandparents were still alive for me to talk with them they would have been so proud and that Iā€™ve sent the kids to a Welsh school. Itā€™s so hard learning in between family life though but I will carry on being determined. x

8 Likes

I love the fact you are speaking to your Taid. How lovely. It really did seem to skip a generation but I think its great this language is getting revival. I used to speak Welsh with my my dog and she was English!! Dal at I xx

5 Likes

I have always wished I could speak and understand Welsh and now I have a little boy who I will be sending to a Welsh school. I want to learn Welsh for me and to help him!

9 Likes

Iā€™m in week 8 of the six month course and weā€™ve been asked to reply to a why I want to speak Welsh post that strikes a chordā€¦ Dozens of great ones - but Caernarfon caught my eye - I visit my daughter and her hiusband in a village near there (from Lancashire) and when I buy coffee or things in shops and cafes, I hear Welsh all around me and jsut long to be able to converse in the local language! All the very very best to you and your children!

5 Likes

ā€¦because my school motto said it allā€”ā€˜tuaā€™r goleuniā€™ and I think I can finally see the end of the tunnel!

Itā€™s taken the best part of another 50 years to figure out what being ā€˜myselfā€™ means, but celebrating my Welsh upbringing is a big part of that. I ran away when my folks died, but feel like learning Welsh is part of my coming home.

Thank you!
Marilyn

8 Likes

Started learning Welsh many tears ago with fab tutor who discouraged his students from writing things down. Those things I learnt with him have stuck clearly with me so many years later. Subsequent attempts have resulted in me getting even less confidence at speaking. I want to learn Welsh now so that I have confidence in me to speak in this language that sounds so strange when I speak it - this is improving. When itā€™s going well I try different intonations and volumes so that bit becomesa familiar sound to me. So glad I fell over SSiW late last year

6 Likes

I hope it comes to mean more than that to you.

4 Likes

For many of us, an apt typo!

9 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because Iā€™m Welsh and Iwant to help preserve the language and enjoy talking with other Welsh speakers. I also made a promise to myself, family and friends that I will become a Welsh speaker.

6 Likes

I want to understand my childrenā€™s Christmas concerts!

4 Likes