'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I wouldn’t say ‘embarrassingly.’ You weren’t aware. Now your world looks different. It hasn’t really changed, but yet it has, and that’s a great thing. As you learn more words/sentences you will be able to have fun with the language. Honestly, the biggest reason for my success has been SSiW and meeting all sorts of fantastic people who have encouraged me to explore Cymraeg further.

4 Likes

Thanks for this. You’re absolutely right.

2 Likes

The reasons why I wanted to learn are deepening. Things that my grandmother said to me so often make more sense, I know the words to songs and they have meaning, and when I’m practicing there are times when I can hear the echoes of her laughter, which is most welcome twenty years on.

15 Likes

That’s so lovely @robertphillips! :heart:

3 Likes

I was a teenager when I first heard Welsh spoken and fell in love with the sound of it. It’s only taken me 55 years, plus the discovery of a Welsh ancestor, for me to pluck up the courage to try and learn. SSiW, by the way, is the cat’s meow.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I was born in Wales and did Welsh as a subject language for O Level. My parents moved from Cardiff to Kent in England a year before my O level and I felt some what cheated as it was one subject I was really good at and enjoyed. I spent the next 40 years in England and coming back to visit family all the time as I loved it in Wales. I bought many books and tried to learn it myself but with no one to ask questions too I always got stuck and gave up. I moved back to Wales 3 years ago and started evening classes where I did a crash course mynediad 1 & 2 and then sylfaen 1 & 2. I decided to give this course a go as it had so many good reviews so have done this instead of enrolling for Canolradd course. Loving it so far.

One thing I hope will happen is that my English wife will start learning too so we can have converstations at home all in Welsh.

7 Likes

Dw i’n cytuno â thi! I agree with you!

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it will give me another window on the world. When I can speak Welsh confidently I would like to be able to act and perform with it- that will be the gold standard for me personally- to be able to reach a point where I can express emotion through it.

6 Likes

Does laughter and frustration count? Some of the mistakes I’ve made in Welsh are very funny, like asking if it’s raining beer (bwrw cwrw).

Seriously though, this is a really cool. Hope to see you on S4C, and I can say, I remember when Julian couldn’t string 3 sentences together.

8 Likes

Bwrw Cwrw​:joy::rofl::joy:

Diolch yn fawr iawn. Really enjoying it so far, I feel that I’ve missed many opportunities to learn over the years- time to put that right👍

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because…

… Despite my family living in Worcestershire, one of my relatives is a fluent Welsh speaker and only speaks to my 7 year old daughter in Welsh. She clearly knows more than she will say, as we discovered on a recent holiday to Wales, and I’d love to be able to communicate with her (and my relative, obviously!) in Welsh. We started this so that she would know from birth that there are different languages, and it’s really helped with her French and Spanish lessons at school.

Blimey! That was a long sentence! Here too is my first post on the forum - Hi everyone!

11 Likes

Try it’s raining beer in kalamazoo

2 Likes

Croeso i’r ffrwm, Harriet-Moore. Welcome to the Forum!

4 Likes

Bwrw bwrw yn Kalamabwrw! <- Looks a’right to me

1 Like

Kalamazoo or anywhere, Bwrw Cwrw sounds like a delicious and hopefully rather practical term. :blush:

2 Likes

@delawarejones Diolch yn fawr! :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forum, Harriett - sounds as though that relative is giving your daughter a priceless gift… :slight_smile: :star2:

2 Likes

I saw my 4yo niece in Newport the other week and thought I’d speak some welsh to her only to find out that she’s been going to welsh speaking school/nursery and basically told me in welsh that she knows more than me and I better practice more :rofl:

15 Likes

Ah, yes, kids - they never believe in going easy on you… :wink:

4 Likes

I’m hoping she can speak with me and correct my mistakes as she becomes more fluent haha.

5 Likes