'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I’m hoping she can speak with me and correct my mistakes as she becomes more fluent haha.

Because I am from North Wales, but grew up in an English speaking area near the English border (Gresford) and have since moved to USA for work, and I have felt a massive need to go back to the language and speak. I could speak as a child, but now it’s all rusty and mostly gone

I suspect it will come back faster than you think, Matt-Oliver.

I’m a proud Welshman and should have taken the time in school to learn what is a beautiful language.

I want to be a Welsh speaker because… I want to hold conversations with people in the language they choose, and I want to chat with my son Sam in the language he uses at school.

In terms of changing my life… I’m hoping it will make me feel like I belong to Wales even more!

@markjones-1
One of the most interesting aspects of learning Welsh, from my perspective, is a sense of connection to the people, history and culture. What’s surprising is I’m an American who has never been to Wales. Until I discovered Welsh ancestry, I knew two things about Wales (location on a UK map, and Dr. Who if filmed in Cardiff). Now I know so much more and it’s because of wanting to learn Cymraeg and the amazing people on this site. For me learning the language has impacted me and I’m on the other side of the Atlantic. I can only imagine how it must be to live in Wales. I hope both you have a similar experience as me.

I was never fluent as a child, I’m 37 and I did the typical school welsh. My family is from Bala which is a very welsh speaking area, my nain never learnt English in her life as she lived in a village near bala her whole life, and when she passed in 1996 she only knew a few words. That’s is the rarity though.

That’s really interesting - I’m impressed you’re learning Welsh when you’ve never visited Wales, whereas I’ve lived here for 23 years and I’m just getting started!

I was born in England but moved to Wales for university, and have been picking up little bits of Cymraeg by ‘drip feed’ for a long time. SSIW is giving me the scaffolding to build sentences/conversations around the vocabulary I know.

What’s great is that in my field of work - I work for a charity that partners with every university in Wales - I come across so many people who use Cymraeg perfectly naturally as their first language, so for me this is about being able to hold conversations with people as freely as possible.

Finally, check out this guy:
https://www.bangor.ac.uk/news/archive/new-pro-vice-chancellor-welsh-medium-civic-engagement-appointed-16432

Jerry Hunter was born in Cincinnati, but is now a fluent Welsh speaker in a high-level job at Bangor University. I met him recently and he has a fantastic American/North Wales accent!

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I’m from Gwent and I feel cheated by history out of my native tongue.

On the plus side -
The Gwent accent and sentence structure, even in the English language, will give you a short cut to learning Welsh.