'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

Diolch butt!

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I no longer live in Wales, and I want to maintain a strong connection to my homeland. I stumbled across SSiW via a Facebook advert and to be honest, it made me quite emotional to think that my bond with Wales is all but lost. That just wouldnā€™t do!

In addition, my future father-in-law is a Welsh speaker and I would love to be able to speak Welsh with him.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want my patients to feel comfortable speaking to their doctor in Welsh when theyā€™re unwell.

16 Likes

I missed all those chances to learn Welsh when I was younger and living in Wales and although I live in England now Iā€™m about to retire and this is my big chance to put that right.

I hope that when I speak Welsh it will be the first of many future conversations in Welsh and that my granddaughters who are growing up in England speaking English and Portuguese will add some Welsh as their third language.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I am English and live in a very Welsh speaking area. I want to understand my farming neighbours and not expect them to speak in English to me.

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I did not give Welsh enough attention at school and regret it. Iā€™ve never properly learnt a second language and it is one of my lifeā€™s to dos. I can think of no better language to learn than that of my own country.

7 Likes

Yes, that article says it all, Gog. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

This country is still experiencing the effcts of Brad y Llyfrau Gleision, but thank God we are now recovering, and the language has turned the corner.

Welsh is my Mother Tongue and I want to speak my Mother Tongue. I would love to be able to speak Welsh with my family and friends in Wales.

6 Likes

Hi Everyone!

Ever since I was a child and heard Welsh by chance in a film i canā€™t even remember the name of, Iā€™ve loved the language and the country! Itā€™s been a lifelong Wish of mine, however being from Serbia, there arenā€™t any local options for learning the language. I am so happy this programme exists!

Now only to find someone i can practice what I learn on!

Thank you SO much! :star_struck::heart_eyes:

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I remember spending summer holidays with my Mamgu in Llandybie and all my cousins and uncles and aunties spoke Welsh and I loved listening to the language and I felt in awe of their ability and this gave me the desire to want to learn Welsh.

6 Likes

Hi @anja1. Welcome to the forum. There are people all over the world learning Welsh here. And people much nearer to you than Wales. Plus lots of line chances to practice. Donā€™t worry. You are not alone.

5 Likes

I think it will be fun and I like the way Welsh feels when you speak it.

5 Likes

I am a Proud Welshman who would love to be able to use our lanuage with Fluency and Confidence in all social aspects, and not be ashamed ever again because i canā€™t speak Welsh. Alan

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I live in Wales. Also hoping it will impress the farmers I work with for some extra respect!

7 Likes

This is a different type of responseā€¦I like it! Speaking Cymraeg produces a tactile response. Or are just clearing your throat :rofl:

No need to be ashamed, as youā€™ve done nothing wrong. Thereā€™s a bigger reason why Cymraeg is not the majority language in Wales. One of the perks of learning Cymraeg is the instant connection to others around you, to the history and culture. Another member said it was like finding a new door in her house. It was very poignant.

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I love Wales. I hope that when Iā€™m a Welsh speaker, my Welsh speaking friends and colleagues wonā€™t feel the need to switch to English in order to include me (they are kind enough to do so, but I would be so pleased if a day came when they didnā€™t need to!).

7 Likes

I live so close to Wales I might just skip across the border with my passport and stay.

4 Likes

I want to make my husband and kids proud - but I have to admit its getting hard at the mo ( week 10!)

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I have always wanted to visit the country and am finally getting the opportunity to this summer. I want to have conversations with folks in Welsh bookstores and coffee shops and spend my time really living in Wales (and Welsh), even thought itā€™s just over a week of vacation. I wonā€™t be there for Eisteddfod, unfortunately, but Iā€™m open to ideas to practice in the first two weeks of June if you know of anything!

4 Likes

Bwrw cwrwā€¦ :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like