'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I think the Welsh-speaking world does seem a bit of a secret, doesn’t it? I’m excited to start de-coding it and finding out what I’ve been missing for the past few years (even if it gets me addicted to Pobl Y Cwm…!)

4 Likes

You’ll be joining a rather large club :rofl:

2 Likes

because I want to broaden my horizons and add another string to my bow!

4 Likes

@sam-mcdonnell
In The Antipodes here, it presents a delightful way in which to surprise with unexpected CALD (cultural and linguistic diversity) in a language rare enough to be considered rather private.

1 Like

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I live in Shrewsbury, not far from the Welsh border, and often walk in Mid-Wales, so I feel I really should be able to talk to my neighbours (and friends) in their own language (it seems rude – and very English – not to). Moreover, because I’ve been trying to learn for years now (on and off, with life periodically getting in the way), it’s become very much a personal challenge.

7 Likes
I want to be a fluent Welsh speaker because I want the language to survive and flourish ...my fathers family were from Anglesey and the Conwy valley and all 1st language Welsh speakers

My mum was not a Welsh Speaker do it was never spoken in the family - my brother went back to college in Bangor and did his O level in Welsh so he could speak it at work in and around Conwy.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my daughter is and I want to share it with her, because many of my colleagues in the arts sector are and I want to share it with them, and because I’m Welsh and the language is a big part of being Welsh. I never got the chance to learn when I was younger as it wasn’t something that people really did in Newport. That is changing and it’s time for me to change too.

5 Likes

Love that story, Sionned. I visited a chapel in Delta Pennsylvannia back in 2008 and couldn’t believe how many people had Welsh ancestry. We sang a little bit of Welsh opera with the chapel choir!

2 Likes

It’s beautiful language and I hope to move back to Wales and live and work as a Welsh Speaker.

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it’s part of our identity and I want to help keep our language alive. Hopefully a reaction will be that people won’t feel obliged to speak in English when I meet up with Welsh speaking friends!

6 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because I’ve always felt excluded from an important part of being welsh without it. It’s a club that I really really want to join! I went to the eisteddfod when it was in Abergavenny and everyone was so friendly and welcoming, I can’t wait to go back next time it’s in South Wales and actually be able to use my welsh.

4 Likes

I would love to be able to speak to my children in the language they speak all day in school and also understand more of what they are saying at home

4 Likes

I want to help create a Welsh speaking home to raise our sons in.

5 Likes

Hi, I really want to be a Welsh speaker because I really regretted not learning in school. I’m not going to give up this time! I’ve been slowly learning for the past 10 years and this is the push I need to succeed and actually have conversations! Diolch!

3 Likes

‘I want to be a Welsh speaker because I don’t feel like a true Brit unless I can speak all the main languages of the British Isles - English, Welsh and Scottish Gaelic’.

(Yes I know there are other, minority languages in and around these shores, i.e. Cornish, Manx, Irish Gaelic…I just consider the above to be the main ones :slight_smile: )

5 Likes

because my family speak Welsh

3 Likes

I now live in lovely Carmarthenshire, and want to join in the conversations in local shops, and not look blank when people start of talking to me in Welsh.

Joined the 6 month course, and now a whole, scary, 4 days in, and onto challenge 2. Took part in a Q/A and got a few questions answered this evening.

Then - I put my brave pants on and actually came up with real Welsh sentences - in front of actual Welsh speakers !

Feeling very positive and very proud !

15 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to be able to support my children through Welsh Medium education as best as I can. Also being on the PTA and the Governing body of a Welsh Medium school, I would like to be able to converse in Welsh with the children, staff and other parents at events or meetings.

7 Likes

You should! Good for you! :star2:

2 Likes

I just found this on Twitter…you might know of it already…https://twitter.com/americymru

1 Like