'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

… I want to be someone my first language Welsh speaker boyfriend could practice with so that he doesn’t lose the ability to speak Welsh despite us living at a place where Welsh speakers are few and far in-between.

One thing I hope will happen when I am a Welsh speaker is that I will be able to answer the phone and have conversations in Welsh at work - I have a foreign sounding surname name and non-British accent so people never expect me to be able to speak Welsh!

9 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker to make my grandmother and great grandmother proud and to speak to my own grand daughter as she begins to learn welsh. I want to be able to speak comfortably with so many new people in my own language. I’m from Wales, have always lived in Wales and felt Welsh but there’s always been something missing.

10 Likes

Don’t let that stop you. A friend of mine is actually a Welsh School teacher, but out of school he loves to use a bit of colloquial/streety Welsh on me. There’s never a problem, if I ask him to explain something. In fact, that way, I tend to remember it better.

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I feel it is a language worth learning. I think it would help with my work and set a good example to my kids.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I’ve lived in North Wales for 5 years, and I’m marrying a Welshman later this year!
I’ve always loved the language, and hope to eventually do it justice, and feel the immense sense of achievement that will go with it! :smiley:

10 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because after having moved around a lot as a child (my father was in the forces) and therefore technically being ‘from’ nowhere in particular, I have settled in South Wales and have no intention of leaving… I feel owe it to my home to learn its language.

One thing I hope will happen when I’m a Welsh speaker (amongst many others!) is that I’ll feel sufficiently confident to add the orange ‘Cymraeg’ speech bubble to my email signature in work and interact with my Welsh-speaking colleagues in Welsh.

12 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I am incredibly proud to be Welsh, but feel being Welsh speaking will allow me to be even more closely aligned with Wales.
I hope that I am able to use the language on a daily basis, preferably making a difference in education through inspiring others to take it up.

9 Likes

This is such an incredibly inspiring thread… :star: :star2:

6 Likes

Dwyn moin dysgu Cmraeg acos …. dwin gwaith en iechyd /NHS a dwi meddwl mae’n bwysig pwb galli sariad cymraeg yma.

…. i’m not confident in writing so I’ll write it out in English too. I want to learn welsh because I work in health/NHS and I think it’s important everyone can speak welsh here.

Something good that’s happened: I am looking forward to getting involved with learner groups in Pembrokeshire when I move there next week!

11 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I am Welsh and never had the chance to learn in South East Wales (with English parents).

I recently made a TV show called Tourist Trap for BBC Wales, and working with so many Welsh speakers in the cast and crew, as well as some brilliant jokes that utilised misunderstandings of the language, inspired me to finally take the plunge. I’m hoping to learn enough to hold some basic conversations before we start filming series two this year!

Diolch yn fawr!

13 Likes

…I want to keep the language alive and because I was born and bred in this wonderful country.

8 Likes

Really? We love that programme. So funny.

1 Like

How long have you got, and are you on the 6 minute or 6 month track? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I’ve grown up listening to my mother’s family speaking Welsh (my mother chose not to speak Welsh to us as children because my father wasn’t able to speak it) and I’ve felt genuinely robbed all these years that I wasn’t given the opportunity to learn the language in my own childhood.

6 Likes

So sorry you had that loss, but so glad that you’re taking matters into your own hands now… :star: :star2:

1 Like

6 month track (5 weeks in) - about 3 months until we start the next series so I’m confident I can hold some conversations by then :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Paid becsio/don’t worry. It will happen! Bit by bit, block by block the Lego Cymraeg will fit together!

2 Likes

Diolch! Dw i’n joio dysgu Cymraeg! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my partner is, and I’d like to be able to talk to him in his preferred language. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I want to learn Welsh because… while trying to learn some practical Welsh some years ago, a small impractical seed sprouted in me (faintly nourished by the discovery that my Great-Granny had spoken Welsh). Despite regular neglect, it has refused to wither away - so now I’m popping it in a nice new pot full of compost (the 6 Month course) and… we will see. :seedling:

8 Likes