'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want better job prospects in Wales and several positions I have looked at have Welsh as a desirable factor.

Hopefully, once I am a fully fledged Welsh speaker I’ll have a better job, and hopefully one in which I can actually help people instead of just feeding the machine! :smiley:

8 Likes

I want to become a welsh speaker because I think the music and language is beautiful, and would one day like to be able to read welsh literature and listen to welsh music fluently.

I’m slowly starting to pick up on words, and it’s exciting when it happens while I’m listening to music in real time!

8 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because it is my partner’s first language and it will mean so much to her and her family.

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it’s my husband’s first language and I have been trying to learn, off and on, for over 20 years—but in classes where I have learned to read it, sort of write it, but never really learned to speak it! After only a few months my husband can hear the difference.

11 Likes

Yeah, you’ll definitely be into some good stuff by then - hope you manage to surprise a few of them! :star: :star2;

The welsh language speaks to my heart and brings me home.

9 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because i am currently the only one who does not speak Welsh in our house. My hope is that I will soon be able to speak and understand enough to stop my family talking about me in secret!:joy:

9 Likes

This is the second person I’ve read who is learning Welsh to hear what family say about them. Language links generations together for many reasons!

4 Likes

…and some of us just need to keep tabs on what our cats are plotting :smirk_cat::pouting_cat::scream_cat:

5 Likes

My husband and three children all speak welsh together at home and it would be amazing to be a part of that, my children would love me to speak welsh, I have only recently seen how much this would mean to them.
Lastly because we will never move from Wales so it is respectful to my adopted country to learn its language!

10 Likes

My first thought was, “Do cats sgrech Cymraeg?” If so, that explains some of weird noises I’ve heard from neighbors’ cats. :smiley: And my second thought was, “Thank god, we’re a dog family. Nothing but love…no plotting.” :sweat_smile:

I can’t remember the exact quote, but a about 4 months ago, a member wrote how learning Welsh was like discovering a new room in her house. She wrote it more eloquently but the sentiment was amazing. When learning Welsh, everything remains the same, friends, family, the roads you take to work…etc. And yet, everything has changed. Welsh adds a texture, a different perspective to view the world. It’s like wearing sunglasses that have a warm tint. It’s the same world, the same people, I just see it differently.

Pwb lwc with your journey.

5 Likes

It will help me at work and help me feel more a part of the local community. My highlight is having a patient respond to a small sentence I had said.

7 Likes

Ddraig goch coloured :eyeglasses:?

3 Likes

I was born and live in Wales, plus it will be very helpful in my work.

3 Likes

Me too. My Nan was Welsh; she was sent into service in London at just 14 years of age. I never met her so have no idea if she even spoke Welsh but, even if she didn’t, I’d like to for her. Welsh is a beautiful language that should live forever.

7 Likes

So do I. I tried to reply to your post but clearly didn’t get it right as it’s attached to another one so makes no sense, lol

2 Likes

Can be confusing, but actually it works okay. The forum software puts each post in the order they are posted. When you reply to a particular person (as you did to Tatiana) that person gets a notice that you replied, even though the post itself may be farther down the list. But if you are ever confused by someone’s “reply” post because you don’t know what it was in reply to, you can click on the little picture at the top right of the post (with the little arrow) and it will show what that post was.

Oh yes. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I speak Welsh with my dog, too. He’s a keen listener, of course, especially when I have a tennis ball :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it would mean the world to my boyfriend, and it sounds interesting as well, to be honest…

5 Likes